❃ Chapter Thirty Eight - Daddy Dearest

Start from the beginning

The fact that he called her by her name after just hearing it was a surprise, but it surely didn't shock me as much as it shocked Piper.

"Vinny-"

The boy jumped in his mother's arms, his face scrunching when Piper didn't intend to hand him over. Her eyes grew twice their size as the boy began wailing, his chubby hands reaching for Narah.

"I'm sorry," Pip said apologetically, shifting him in her arms, "He doesn't usually do this. He really doesn't like new people."

Narah chuckled, "No problem, can I…?"

"Sure."

As the little weight was exchanged, Narah humphed, smiling at the boy who immediately stopped crying. "Aren't you a little troublemaker," she cooed, supporting his head with her hand. "Yeah, you are…"

Vin stared up at her with eyes so big, they could've popped out of their sockets at any moment, and his mouth was dropped open. His hand raised to touch her face, but he hesitated, as if afraid she wasn't real. I followed his line of sight, thinking the very same thing I thought every time I went to bed or woke up by her side.

"He's adorable," my love murmured, wiping his tears away with her thumb.

"I'm pretty sure he adores you," Pip smiled brightly, "It's great to finally meet you too, Zoe." The smile fell as she gave me her version of a stink eye, "This prick wouldn't give me the slightest information on you."

"In my defense, I wanted to avoid you stalking her." I pointed my finger at her when she was about to argue, "You know you would've, don't deny it."

She huffed, crossing her arms at me. "You suck, you know that?"

Spreading my arms at her, I gave her an innocent shrug, "Sucking is what I do best. Ask Narah."

She grimaced, but did give me a quick hug as Narah blushed harder than earlier.  "Jerry!"

Pip grinned at me, wiggling her brows, "Jerry, huh?"

"Give the poor guy a break, PB," Reeve sighed behind her, placing his palm on her shoulder. We shook hands before giving each other an acknowledging nod, "Nice look you got, man!"

Pip scoffed, "Are you kidding me? He looks like some drug addict musician."

Reeve and I rolled our eyes at her, before I commented to him, "So, she finally gave you the green light for the beard, cop?"

He shrugged offhandedly, "I had to convince her beards are cool. Took me a while."

Pip rolled her eyes, looking back at Narah, "I hate that I love it."

We laughed at her comment, easing into a bit of a conversation before Logan came over with baby Storm in his arms. The little girl had the brown hair of her father and the amber eyes of her mother, her skin tone something in between coffee and golden. Sam was by his side, holding Steele. Comparing to his sister, Steele had his father's green eyes and his mother's black hair. Damian came to introduce himself as well, his snarky comments amusing my Narah how they never had anyone else from the family. My asshole of a brother later squeezed my shoulder and told me in a very low tone, "Hurt her and I'll hurt you."

Even if it was hard to believe the good doctor had it in him, he was a Black after all. If the rest of the fam could easily crush bones, why wouldn't he be able to do the same?

When Cole and Nathan came around to introduce themselves, the best friends had similar buzz cuts, only that one was a redhead and the other was a blondie. Their features hardened from the last time I saw them, the edges of danger spiking with what I was sure was a strict schedule in the military. But they hadn't changed. Nathan was the same serious, annoyed teenager just as Cole remained the well known goofy, flirtatious mother fucker.