Ch 45: The warriors of Old

"ready to defend in the name of victory."

Rhysand POV
The sudden appearance was definitely a problem, especially since the universe was cruel enough to only make my mate the one who's blood could do what we needed. Suggesting the idea of taking Feyre even close to the Cauldron again was making me lose my mind with the unfairness of it all.

On the bright side, atleast the news got Tamlin and Beron out of their holier-than-thou worlds to help. The fact that millilons of people were standing behind and above me, ready to defend and defeat the three foes combined, calmed my nerves a little. But then I realize that the enemy has just as big an army, or probably bigger.

Standing amid the other high-lords and the infamous cadre formerly pledged to Maeve but now Aelin, about whom even I had heard, I felt like I was standing among the people who could rattle the stars. The only group of people who could go head-to-head with Maeve, Erawen and Hybern and possibly come out the other end. I could see the others weren't so sure but when the horn rang once more, the last warning before the armies collided, any time for doubt slipped away.

"Rhysand, keep Erawen at bay for as long as the healer's need, bind him with your darkness - it should hold. The cadre will hold off Hybern until we're done with the Cauldron. Maeve won't be joining us for now." she said, keeping her eyes on the steadily approaching army. I nodded my head in understanding.

"Soldiers! Assemble!" Aedion shouted, turning towards the scattered ranks of soldiers, some cowering and some looking ready for the blood. The sound of feet meeting the ground could be clearly heard from we were standing, soldiers dressed in dark with weapons just as deadly as themselves resting in their hands, running towards us in sync.

I opened my wings, displaying their might before taking off into the air, Cassian and Azriel following me as I flew in front of the Illyrian army waiting in the skies for orders from their general or High Lord. "Hybern is coming! It is our job to take care of his army, the first flank will come with me, the rest will follow Cassian!" I ordered, as ten of the front warriors seperated from the army and flew behind me.

Aelin POV
"Winnow us as close as you can to the witch towers, we have to take out as many as we can before we can go to the middle one and finish the job." I said, walking towards Feyre and taking her hand. She didn't waste a second before the darkness took us away.

We landed right between enemy lines and in the moment it took them to understood what just happened, they were already dying. The little magic I had needed to be used to distract Maeve which meant it had to stay inside for now. Feyre threw out her hands as wolves made of pure fire erupted from them, baring their fiery teeth and pouncing on the valg. Neat trick.

"miss me?" someone said from behind me as I whirled to find silver flames erupting from Amren, way too familiar to Deanna for my comfort. A smirk made its way on my face as we danced the dance of death, in rythm and around each other as enemies fell around us one by one - to three females, each from a different world but in tune with our instincts.

A silent agreement to make our way towards the towers, we moved by cutting our way through.

"Amren, take one. Feyre take the other." I said, gesturing towards the two giant buildings we were now standing in front of, as Feyre nodded and swiftly disappeared, appearing in front of the one in the right corner, Amren doing the same in the left. I made my way towards the second from the left, the one closest to the cauldron. Burning it wasn't an option anymore, I realised as I ran towards it and lunged on the soldier holding the rope that moved the tower. His head was rolling not a minute later as my sword tore through the thick leash.

The tower on the farthest right burst into flames, sending a blast outwards, breaking the mirror on top into a million shards. I used the distraction to take out the two guards holding the other rope as my own tower tilted. I de-stabalized it but it still wasn't enough, thankfully Arobynn had taught me to climb. I smiled a feral grin at the idea of being an assassin again as I jumped onto the side of the tower, making it tilt further. I climbed the tilting tower, with cautious steps in a carefree speed as I made my way on top.

The second my foot touched upon the wooden floorboards though, a huge silvery blast sent me flying. The mirror I was standing next to a second ago now broken, its shards flying right next to me, one piercing my thigh with its horrendously sharp edge, as a scream tore itself from my throat.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as the tower once below my feet, tore itself apart with the pressure Amren's power unleashed. Surviving was a big 'if' when I saw something that might help, as if Mala herself was telling me to live from beyond the worlds. My hands took hold of the rope I had cut as I wrapped my legs around it, awfully slow in my mind. The shock of possibly not making it which was slowing time down vanished the second I had a grip, as the rope swung full speed ahead, with me wrapped around it like a snake, hanging on for dear life.

Rhysand POV
Much like Aelin had predicted, the armies moved forward, leaving us with Erawen who was smirking like he knew something we didn't, and a bloodthirsty Hybern, no doubt ready to kill.

The Illyrians I had taken were standing beside me, creating a barrier between Erawen and the healers that were now standing behind me, Mor among them. Kaltain, that wraith like woman was standing with Gavriel and Fenrys as they protected the head healer- Yrene and the other accolytes, hiding them from view and ready to assist if needed too. The rest of the cadre including the black wolf that had appeared out of nowhere and who looked awefully like Fenrys, were standing in front of Hybern, attacking one after the other like they knew exactly what the other was thinking without them saying it, which they did much like Cas, Az and I. It was breathtaking to watch.

Bringing myself back to the demon in front of me, the other high lords and I unleashed our powers all together on him, Helion and Thesan taking the lead- being masters in healing as my power held Erawen in place. "You're awefully naive if you think two healers and a bunch of pathetic idiots is enough to take a king of hell." he drawled, but unaware of the fact that we had the upper hand. All his words managed to do was piss Tamlin and Beron off, their fragile egos taking offence to the king's weak attempt at a psychological attack.