Ch 24: You touch him, I kill you.

"taking slow steps towards her."

Aelin POV
Before I could take another step, Rhysand came in front of me. "I'm not losing the last part of her." he said before he turned towards Maeve, glaring at her. The members of my court also joined Rhysand, blocking my view of the attacking army.
"Aelinnn." She said in a sing-song voice, mocking me. "If you don't come I'll kill him." She finished and everything went cold. Anger erupted in me so fast that my vision went red.
"You touch him and you're dead. There will be nothing to possibly save you." I said, my voice shaking with fury. I parted the sea of people ahead of me before coming face to face with Maeve. "I'll rain hellfire on you." I threatened, my voice shaky with restraint. She knew I was serious, he is my mate, my other half, and if he dies, I will too. My eyes were glowing, I knew that, fire dancing at my finger tips, scalding hot. The slight fear in her eyes was showing before it was gone again, masked, as she laughed at me mockingly. "Is that any way to speak to your aunt." she said before she waved her hand, and we were ambushed.

Rowan POV
I wanted to run to her, kiss her and tell her everything was fine, but it wasn't and my legs weren't under my control. I had to wait, Maeve was too close for it to work. But I knew I couldn't leave this place as Maeve's slave. I raised my hands and ice erupted, mixing with the darkness, sending out a huge blast thankfully not hitting Aelin.

There was chaos everywhere, the people of the city running towards shelter, the beauty vanishing in a matter of seconds. The soldiers were facing off the people that were on the border, all using their own magic to make powerful opponents, but they weren't a match for a 100 well trained fae warriors, especially with Maeve commanding them.

Aelin POV
It was hard, fighting so many warriors, but I wasn't Adarlan's assassin for my beauty. A sword made out of fire rested in my hands, burning everything that came in contact. I was in the killing calm, I had been ever since Maeve had threatened Rowan, the fae protective instinct tunneling my vision until I could only see the soldiers as obstacles that needed to be removed for me to reach Rowan.

He was still standing next to Maeve, neither of them moving from their original spots. I needed him to get away from her if I was going to take of the collar, which meant the soldiers needed to go, she needed to feel the desperation and fear of almost losing for me to get Rowan away from her.

The Night Court was doing very well, each of them taking one soldier after another and getting through them with the ease of trained warriors. Red, blue and black floating in the air, taking the enemies and crushing them. The number of soldiers was steadily decreasing and the smirk on Maeve's face was slowly fading, when everything went wrong.

x----------x-----------x-----------x------------x

Next chapter is coming tomorrow as scheduled so please don't kill me for the cliffhanger.

❤️❤️