Ch 27: Nameless

"Wait what!?"

Azriel Pov
Rhysand let out an exasperated sigh at that, "She's my sister Cassian." He said, his hand massaging his forehead like this was giving him a headache. "No, she wouldn't just leave like that. She loved you, Rhys, more than anything." I said, defending the woman who had taken me in and given me a home, and a brother. "I know." Rhysand replied "but the bone carver said the gods were playing with her, whatever that means" he finished. What gods?

"I uh- I need to tell everyone something." Lillian said, her eyes overflowing with guilt. "My name- it isn't Lillian or Celaena." she said, looking down which was probably a good thing since Rhys was giving her a very annoyed and unimpressed look.
"It's Aelin. Aelin Ashryver Whitehorn Galathynius" she said, and before I could comment on the long name, Cassian did "How many names do you have woman!" he said, and the wolf sneered at that but the girl just chuckled. "You have no idea." she mumbled, but I heard her and so did Rhys. We both gave her a questioning look but she just waved her hand, dismissing it.

"There is a war going on in my world. The gods were playing with her because they needed someone from two powerful bloodlines, Ashryver and Galathynius. My friend and I are the only two remaining that have the blood of both coursing in our veins.
So, the gods were playing with her because they needed her." She explained. I was even more confused if that was even possible. "So how old are you?" Cassian asked, and for once something smart came out of his big mouth.
"20" she replied,"she was sent to a different time when the gods needed her." she said, explaining the five-century age distance.

I wanted to know what she was, she was human two days ago and now suddenly she was a fire-wielding fae warrior. Before I could ask though, someone stepped into the room, a knife already on its way to my throat when Aelin called his name, "Rowan" she called, and the previously hostile fae male froze in his tracks. He turned towards her and I readied my stance, hoping to defend my high lord's sister, but what he did next was unexpected. He fell to his knees, the knife dropping on the stone floor and his hands reaching up to clutch his head as if he was in excruciating pain.
Some struggling later, his eyes opened but now they were a beautiful pine green instead of that soul-less black. "Get it out. Break the collar" he rasped before his hands fell back to his side, the pain apparently gone, and he stood up. His eyes were that endless black again, and he was moving towards Aelin, knife in hand. Rhys extended his hand and magic lashed out, and bound the male Aelin called Rowan.

"We should kill him. He helped that woman and he seems to be in pain. It would be mercy." The wolf, Sam, snarled so viciously that Cassian took a step back. "Fenrys. Don't" Aelin said and surprisingly the wolf backed down. All the otherworlders listened to Aelin for some reason.

"You will not kill him. He's my husband and mate." She announced and I was shocked, to say the least. This bound and expressionless male was her mate.
He was ready to stab her two seconds ago which didn't seem like a lot of love, and I said as much.

"It's the collar. It's a demon. Maeve and the other guy who wants to conquer our world made them to make an army for themselves. Rowan was looking for me but he got captured not knowing that I was here." She explained, a guilty expression on her face. How she was planning to do that, remove the demon, I didn't know but she was technically my princess so I didn't argue.

"We can burn it out. Like you did with Dorian." suggested Lorcan and I was going to agree since it seemed to have worked before but Aelin immediately shot the idea down. "We don't have the ring." she said, her eyes looking somewhere else seemingly lost in thought herself. What she meant by the ring I didn't know but it was clear that fire was not an option.

--------------------------------------------

Aedion POV
It has been two days since Dorian and Nox left and not a single letter or any other form of news from anyone. There had been utter silence in the camp everywhere, just whiling away the time till the assailant came. Something was going on, that much was clear, Doranelle had become like a vortex, whoever went in didn't come out and despite that Dorian and Nox had gone.

I never understood what Dorian had with Aelin, some kind of solidarity with them both being viable for the sacrifice, some understanding by both being monarchs, I didn't know. I owed a lot to Dorian, but I was born to be a brother and a protector to Aelin, so she came first. The sacrifice required nameless, but Dorian was also nameless, having no respect or support from his court besides Chaol, he was nameless and reckless in the eyes of the lords of Adarlan. I needed to make it so that Dorian made the sacrifice, before Aelin could come back because her self-sacrificial nature won't allow anyone besides her to step in and die.
She needed to live for Terrasen, for the life she deserved and was born for but was denied because of Dorian's father.