OC Art: Orichal (and Malice)

So, in my Valentines art, I drew a lovely little Deity of Madness named Orichal. And well, I drew them again so that I can tell you all more about them. And here we are. Let me know if you can't see any of the images on this page, they're kinda acting up on me a bit.

I did this piece ENTIRELY in digital

I did this piece ENTIRELY in digital. I didn't make a traditional piece to base this off of first, which is a first for me truly! I also utilized the symmetry ruler button so that I could achieve this balanced look. I did make a small mistake of fusing the outline layer and the color layer together before I started shading the hair (DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE), but otherwise it worked out. And unfortunately no, I didn't make the background this time. This is one of the many background things my drawing app comes with. It seemed the most appropriate out of what was available.

The little red thing with with eyes and that weird prong mouth is Malice, Orichal's personal curse. When Orichal's mother was able to convince the other deities to merely exile them instead of banishment or execution, Orichal's own father insisted on keeping Orichal's powers over madness in check by creating a curse entity to regulate that control. Unfortunately, at Orichal's father's own will, the curse entity was given the free will and full permission to also belittle Orichal constantly as well as regulate control of power between them. This curse entity was given the name of Malice, appropriate given his cursed appearance and his equally cursed mouth and language. However, as Ori's exile went on, Malice grew more inconsistent with his purpose. One day, he decided to not assist in power regulation just to see if Orichal would care.

That lead to madness spiking in the world and Orichal went on in a blind rampage. And Malice merely laughed at the resulting destruction while Orichal, upon returning to normal, panicked and allowed themselves to take the blame like they always did.

As dark as it sounds, it's something of a necessity for deities to have "Armageddon" and other such names for cleansing to occur so the land be renewed. The Deity of Madness must be around to see to it that cleansing does not go without reason, to occur with renewal and not pure destruction. However, Insanity Incarnate does not have to partake in the activity of cleansing itself. They simply must... exist to keep world wide madness among mortals in control. So, in a nutshell, the Deity of Madness might as well have always been a monster in the eyes of most other deities. To be born genderless? Might as well be nothing at all then. But Orichal is no monster, that is certain. More or less a victim of fate and racism really. And Malice could see that.

Orichal has gone to see the deities restore the world over again and again, but once, Orichal did get the chance of heroism when a dark power raised to plunge the world into darkness. Only Orichal was purely immune to tht power due to their control over madness, and thus risked everything to give the human heroes a fighting chance again. And, to their own mother's surprise, Orichal and Malice survived with little to no harm to them. And that's Orichal for you; pretty much unkillable by all means.

Orichal is about as nice as they come tho, I promise. Maybe a bit goofy on their best days, and maybe a bit too willing to put themselves down on their most bleh days, but so much as talking to Ori can bring a bit of a smile to their face. And through others such as Nagini and their mother, Orichal gets a shot at feeling and giving affection. And while Orichal would rather not fight, they're always prepared should they have to with their chain blades, which can be quite a deadly weapon given their proficiency with them. And being the Deity of Madness, Orichal (and by extension Malice) are both capable of rather law-breaking abilities like, well, having the same amount of durability as a Gmod ragdoll. Can't get much more insane then that.

Inspirations, inspirations. You might have noticed that Orichal has a fair amount of similarities to Soul Eater character Crona, whom you know I very much love. It's an intentional thing, if I must be frank. When deciding on making a world with deities and nymphs and the like, I imagined it like a video game, and pondered on what I could get away with in terms of DLC. I decided on the idea that the added characters could be somewhat based on other characters like Raven or Yubel, but with Crona... an idea struck my cords. Orichal. The basis that would be Orichal sprung from that ground, and you may notice what's coming from it, yes? I don't regret that, nor do I regret the other deities and characters that have and are to come after Orichal.

Also, the idea of giving Orichal chain blade weapons came from the game Dauntless

Also, the idea of giving Orichal chain blade weapons came from the game Dauntless. It's a game that's not unlike Monster Hunter and I do recommend you give it a shot if you like unique monsters and, well, hunting them. I started playing Dauntless around the time I made Orichal, so I decided that, since I've never really seen chain blade like weapons before, Orichal could have them as their default weapon of choice. Honestly the only other place I can think of with a weapon remotely similar to chain blades was one of the weapon forms Black🌟Star's weapon can take on... which is ironic, given Orichal's base inspiration.

Like Ahriman, I do have a song that I feel fits Orichal well, though it didn't really impact Orichal's development since Ori was basically finished by the time I found this song. Still, I'd like to share it with you all since it really is a good song.

I don't really have many traditional drawings of Orichal outside of the Valentine drawing I made not too long ago. So there's that.

I suppose that's about it. If you have any questions regarding Orichal, Malice, the art, etc, then you're more then welcome to ask me about it. I feel like there's something in the art you can recognize from a glance but I can't figure it out. Maybe you can, idk. Well, cheers! 🐉