Heavens Arena - Chapter 24

Today was the day of Gon's match, and I sat down next to Lynn. Wing's words were stuck in my head after the brief explanation he had gotten over with us before the match.

"Ten is only used for defense and cannot raise your offense. If an opponent is highly skilled in Nen, they can easily break through your Ten and deal you some heavy damage. That's why you should wait two months prior to fighting. During that time, I'd like to teach you as much as I'm able to."

Knowing Gon, he was determined to fight anyone on this floor, and he chose not to listen to Wing's advice to meet his goal. I watched as he prepared himself to fight his opponent, the person in the red cloak and metal leg named Gido. I was certain Wing's watching through the TV since it was broadcast all over Heavens Arena.

"Begin!" The referee announced, starting the match. Gon activated his Ten while Gido got out a top, which he revealed to be multiple tops spinning around.

"There they are, folks! Gido's Dancing Tops!" The commentator announced. "He uses multiple tops to attack his opponents and crush them!"

"Here we go. Battle Waltz!" The tops moved toward Gon and surrounded him. I observed them as they moved around and flinched when one of them hit his back. The referee announced a clean hit, giving his opponent one point.

"I can use Nen to keep these tops spinning for hours while attacking you." I heard Gido explain. "The attack pattern is so complex, that no one, not even myself, will know what will come next!"

The tops kept surrounding him and another one just hit him in the back again. I squeezed my eyes shut and winced. The commentator's loud voice kept annoying me, and I had to deal with both things at the same time. Another one hit him right in the cheek, and he was knocked down. Right now, Gido was winning, and this wasn't looking too good for Gon. I started to sweat nervously, pondering and worrying about the poor boy. His Ten was too weak to defend against Gido's Dancing Tops. Oh man, this was going to get really ugly.

"Those tops are powered by Nen." Lynn explained. "That is what allows them to move around with amazing speed and deal loads of damage. I'm guessing that if he only uses his aura just to make them spin, they won't do much damage." I had to agree with her on this one. If Gido could attack Gon as many times as he wanted, he would have to use a lot of his aura to make them move and attack. "I think he's using Hatsu, because he's causing the tops to move around with his own aura. I don't know if that's his idea he had when he first got initiated. Wing said Hatsu is to put those ideas into action. I wonder what ideas he's talking about. Maybe some sort of ability, I think? We still have a lot to learn about Nen, but this stubborn boy refused to listen and now he's getting the worst beating of his life."

He dodged the tops continuously until one of them hit him in the stomach, sending him flying out of the ring. Make it end for Pete's sake! I couldn't stand watching him suffer in great pain. It was even worse than the fight with Hanzo back at the last phase. I would even cry if he took it too far for me to handle.

I didn't know what he was doing outside the ring, but if he didn't get back in there, he was going to lose. He was thinking about something that was related to what was going on, something I'd never thought about in the first place. When he figured it out, he jumped back in the ring, trying to land a hit on Gido. The metal-legged guy started spinning around.

"There it is, people! Gido's special technique which combines offense and defense! Tornado Top!"

He flew out of the ring again, and Gido got three points for a critical hit and knockdown, resulting in a total of nine points. And Gon hadn't earned a single point yet, and he was getting close to defeat.