Chapter 61~!

WARNING: Major fluff ending! You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk.

------------------------------------------

Well, that could have gone worse. After a few spells (courtesy of Kadi and England) they managed to levitate America up there to help me down, and then brought the both of us back to solid ground.

"I cannot believe you did that, Melina," he told me as he finally managed to get me off of the branch. "Super brave, girly. I'm impressed."

"I was just repaying the favor," I said softly without elaborating on my meaning. Once on the ground I let the cats out of the bag (haha) as well as Zip and Hanatamago. I gave Isabella to Spain, who shouted happily and kissed my cheek in thanks before cuddling with his pet. Greece was happy as all his cats clambered over one another to be the first to be reunited with their friend. Italy cried happily and kissed me on both cheeks when I handed a now-docile Pookie to him, who snuggled up to him and fell asleep. Hana yipped gladly as she was reunited with Sweden and Finland, and Zip settled down in my arms, licking a small burn I didn't even remember getting on my arm.

As the adrenaline faded from my system I could feel the pain in my leg become stronger, more prominent. Canada was walking up to me with both polar bears in his arms when I gave a cry of pain and fell forward, accidentally letting Zip go. I think I heard Canada call my name and felt his hands on my shoulders, but I passed out then and didn't hear anything anymore.

Canada's POV~

"Hey, America! Call an ambulance, okay?" I said, and he nodded.

"One's already on its way, bro. What's wrong with her?"

"I don't know, she just passed out," I said, pulling her into my arms more and letting her head rest on my shoulder.

~~~

Melina's POV~

I woke up with a gasp and a start, feeling weird cloth around my arms and under my back. 'Where...?'

"Hey, are you awake this time?" a soft voice to my left asked, making me turn my head to see who it was. It was Mattie! He looked tired and worry lines creased his forehead, but he still managed a bright smile when I nodded slowly.

"Where are we?" I asked, my voice a little scratchy.

"The hospital," he replied. "You passed out after you came off your adrenaline high, and then an ambulance came and took you away."

"And... the animals?"

"A veterinary clinic, getting checked up and treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation. You were very brave. You and China both."

"I-Is China okay?" I asked frantically, trying to sit up but failing when a dull throb made its way to my brain from my right leg. "Oowww..."

"D-Don't try to sit up, Melina. Your pain relievers might not have taken their full effect yet," he added oh-so-helpfully.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically while lying back down. "Can we go home now?"

Mattie smiled and nodded. "Are you going with crutches or a wheelchair?"

"Crutches!" I said quickly. "Crutches crutches crutches crutches!"

"Okay, okay, I figured that's what you would say," he said, grabbing the tools from their resting place against the wall. "By the way, we're staying at a hotel for a while."

"Figures," I said, sitting up quickly to get the pain over with and taking the crutches before standing. "Not so bad, could be worse... I've been through worse, and with far less help, too. Er... Pain meds talking, that's it!" I said, embarrassed that I'd admitted something like that. 'That doesn't seem like the first time I've done that, either... Damn...'