11

Don't Blame Me ~ Taylor Swift (*)

••••••
Rayne ~~

"Rayne, tell me what's wrong. We don't keep secrets like this come on." Ardens voice behind me just annoys me even more.

I continue to throw punch after punch at the bag hanging from the ceiling. Despite my lack of sleep last night and growing anger, I seem to have a lot of energy. I just can't stop seeing red when I think about that note.

"Rayne." I hear him say with a more serious tone than before.

I stop punching the bag and grab it so it stops swinging. When I turn to look at him he's leaning on the doorway to our makeshift gym that literally only I use.

"I'm just angry, you know I get like this sometimes." I huff and walk over to one of the benches and grab my water bottle to take a drink.

"Yea, but only for good reason." He stands up straight and walks over to where I'm standing. "What happened? And why is it making it unusually hard for you to tell me?"

I finish gulping down the rest of my water before tossing it into a nearby trash bin. I don't look at him as I sit on the bench and start unwrapping the tape around my hands.

He comes and sits next to me, and waits for me to speak.

I never keep things from him, but this is just something I'm too angry to speak of out loud. I know we don't keep secrets though, so I decide to tell him. He knows literally everything else about me anyway. I can trust him.

"When I came back last night, there was a note on the door. It was from him. I don't understand how he knows where we live, but he clearly does. I'm on edge and furious that he found out somehow, and all I can think of right now is how badly I want to kill him. But I don't kill, so now you understand why I'm trying to force those thoughts out of my head by doing this." I gesture around the room, and I hear him sigh.

Out of the corner of my eye I see him put his face in his hands. "For fucks sake. What did it say?"

I tense up at the reminder of what he said in the note, the memory of the words making my blood run cold. "He said, 'Hello Angel. Did you miss me?'. He knew it would set me off. Calling me that, his words, proving that he knows where we live. All of it. He knows, he always knows. But here I am only knowing what he's done to me and what he looks like. I don't even know his name, where he is, what else he's done. And yet, he still finds a way to mock me from afar. I can't take this. I don't have the self composure needed to handle this." I ramble out and my knee starts bouncing frantically.

Arden must notice how erratic I'm getting because he puts a hand on my knee to stop it. When I look at him he's staring at the ground.

"We need to do more. Work harder. Especially me because I have all the necessary equipment and knowledge so I should've already found him by now. He's just so smart when hiding everything about himself. I lose sleep at night knowing I haven't even figured out his name. I'm sorry." He pats my knee that he was holding in place, and then stands up and walks out of the room.

I knew that would set him off too.

He always gets so upset when I get this way, and that's why sometimes it takes a lot of convincing from him to get me to speak up about it.

I don't really give a shit about how I feel, I can handle it. But I hate burdening him with what goes on in my head. Although he chooses to have me confide in him, I will never like it. But I also will never keep secrets from him, it just takes an extra push to get me to open up sometimes.