4

Darkside ~ Oshins (*) this one only plays for a short period of time **

Hollow ~ Pantera (1*)

Low Lays the Devil ~ The Veils (2*)

**trigger warning!**
•••••
Rayne ~

"Miss Hunter, I can't even begin to understand what you're going through. But we need your help with this. A decision can not be made without your say."

"Godamnit could you give her a break? She just lost both of her parents. Today is her birthday and now she has to spend it like this. I don't understand why this couldn't fucking wait." I hear Keegans voice spit at the social worker.

"I understand she's turning eighteen today. She is now a legal adult. I'm sorry for pushing this on you but it's my job and it's necessary. It must be done. It says here that the only family she has left is an uncle that goes by the name Kane Hunter. His whereabouts are unknown, seeing as he tends to move around a lot. But, if she doesn't want to live on her own he is the only other option. Once again, it's her choice. Does she have any idea where her uncle resides at these days?" The man who's been asking me questions I can't seem to answer finally gets the memo and asks Keegan instead of me.

I hate that everyone has been talking about me like I'm not right here. But I guess it's my fault since my voice has been snatched away from me along with everything else that held the life in me.

Keegan huffs beside me. "Fine. But I don't know where he's at. No one does. Her father didn't even know and it was his brother. Rayne has never met him before, he left right before she was born apparently. No one has heard from him since. But that shit doesn't matter. She'll be living with me and my grandma for now. We're the only thing she's got for family left. So she's coming with me."

"That works. Once again, it's all her choice since she's now an adult. I just need you to get her to sign some paperwork. And you or your grandmother as well."

"Alright. Can we go after that's done?"

"Yes, you may leave afterwards."

I hear the door shut moments later but I still don't budge from staring at the spot on the wall. It's painted grey, but somehow still holds more light in it than I do.

"Rayne, honey. We've got to sign these dumb ass papers then we can leave ok?" Keegan's face comes into my line of sight. I don't say anything, or even acknowledge that she said anything either.

I can't move. I can't speak. It's not possible to do so when the life has been sucked out of you. I can barely even think. I don't know how it makes sense, but I don't care. I don't feel anything. I don't even feel empty, because to feel empty that means you're still feeling something, or lack of something thereof.

I see a few tears roll down Keegan's cheeks, but I don't reach out to stop them from falling with my fingers like we've always done for each other in the past.

She hangs her head for a second before standing back up and scooping me into her arms that I don't believe can hold me up. But they do. Because she's strong.

And I'm weak.

•••••

It's been two days. I've pushed everyone away. Micah has tried and tried to get through to me, but I let him go. The first words I spoke since the accident were, "I want you to leave, and never come back."

I broke his heart. But he'll be fine. His pain wouldn't even put a dent in the pain I felt. But that's the thing, now I feel nothing. I guess that's why it was so easy for me to break his heart. I felt no remorse doing so.