Chapter 17: Appointments

Be careful who you trust. Salt and Sugar look the same.

-Unknown-

"Cameron, don't forget that I have my appointment next week to get the scans Dr. Reeves needs for my follow up in two weeks." I yell as I sit down at the table with my avocado toast and cup of coffee. He doesn't respond so I lean over to peek into the living room and realize he is on the phone. 

He sees me and holds up one finger while simultaneously covering the speaker with his palm. "One sec." He whispers over to me than immediately returns to his phone call. I nod my head going back to my toast and coffee picking up the notes I've been studying for a few recertification's I have coming up in a few days. 

Cameron has been extremely busy these past few weeks and I'm not sure if it's due to the time he has taken off due to me or a random influx of client cases. I hope for the latter but my gut does not follow. I let out a long sigh, my eyes scanning over the words written across the pages held in my hands but my mind just sees a jumbled mess of black squiggles. 

I give up and set the papers down just as Cameron walks into the kitchen. "Sorry, what were you saying?" Cameron asks while grabbing a coffee mug from the cabinet. "I was just letting you know that I have my appointment to get my scans done next week." I say taking a sip from my own mug.

"What day next week?" He turns to me. "On Thursday at five in the afternoon." I meet his eyes frown lines forming on his forehead and I can see the cogs turning in his mind. "Shit! I have to go into the office that day to meet with a client, I don't think I'm going to be able to make that, can you reschedule?" He finally responds.

 I shake my head turning back to the papers if only to keep my hands busy. "No, they are always booked so far out it would be weeks if not months before I could get back in, and besides I already have someone coming in early to cover the last couple hours of my shift so I can go."

 Cameron runs his hands over his face. "I can try to move a couple appointments so I can be there with you." He huffs out and I can tell he is struggling to work out a way to be with me in his head.

 I stand up and walk over to him. "It's okay, I'm not even going to see Dr. Reeves that day, I'm just going to hop into a machine for a bit and then come home." My keep my voice even, but my heart skips a beat at the thought of him not being there and I'm not sure why. 

"They will send the results to Dr. Reeves that's why I have another appointment to see him in two weeks." I finish. Cameron shakes his head. "Are you sure?" He gives me a concerned look. "Yes!" I laugh hoping to ease his worry. "It's only four floors away from the one I work on. I'll be fine." I say and I'm not sure who I'm trying to convince more, me or him. I wrap my arms around him. "I promise, I probably won't even be late coming home." He returns my embrace and squeezes me tight. "Okay, if you're sure." I give him a quick kiss. "I am." I whisper then run upstairs to finish getting ready for work. 

Surprisingly my schedule somehow worked out giving me five days off in a row, then the day I return is the day I get my scans. Unfortunately, Cameron has been busy in the office all week with work and we haven't really got to spend time together. So I have been keeping myself busy at home. I have rearranged Cameron's living room, organized the kitchen cabinets, and labeled everything but the kitchen sink.