Twelve

"Dad, I'll be back later," I yelled, snatching my keys from the table near the front door.

I ran outside to my car, started it, and started driving to the hospital.

Why was Gabriella following an ambulance?

When I arrived, I locked the car, and sprinted to the doors. I looked around, checking for Gabriella.

I saw her sitting in the corner of the lobby, hand on her torso. The baby!

I slipped over and sat beside her. "Gabby?" I whispered.

She looked up, face stricken with tears, and looked back down. "Go away, Troy."

I was baffled. Why did she want me to go away. I stared at the polished floor, hearing her sob.

A nurse soon came into the large lobby and asked for anyone for Sharpay Evans. Wait, what?

Gabriella stood immediately, and ran over to the woman.

They conversed for a few moments before separating. Gabriella began walking to the elevator. I debated going after her.

A small part of me wanted to leave, but another wanted me to go after her. I waited until the last minute as Gabby stepped into the elevator to run after her. I got there too late, and the doors closed, sealing her inside.

I looked at what floor she was to land on, and it was number 7. Floor 7, got it. I sprinted for the stairs, slamming into the door in the rush to open it.

As I climbed the stairs I pondered over a few things. When will I propose? Does Chad still have the ring? I hope so.

I saw the number seven painted in black paint on a door leading into a hallway.

I took a quick break. I ran up like, a hundred flights of stairs. Well, no, but it felt like that.

I burst out into the hallway. I looked around, and saw Gabriella just entering a room. I took a deep breath and followed her.

When I entered the room, Sharpay lay there, looking pale and dead. Gabriella sat on a chair, staring at her, tearing up again.

"Gab?" I whispered. She closed her eyes, "Troy, please go, you abandoned me when I needed you most. Now, the person who is trying to help me, is in a coma. Please, if you have any good bone in your body, just leave me alone."

I swallowed, and silently left the hospital, slowly stepping down the stair case back to the lobby.

Why?