~Chapter 6

"Jessica, honey!" Mom calls from downstairs.

"Hm?" I say once I reach the living room.

My mother is sitting on our soft leather sofa and has Sarah in her arms, fast asleep. My mom is wearing a light blue floral print dress and has her black hair in and elegant braid. Jordan is cooking something aromatic in the kitchen. I wonder what it is.

"I hope this isn't too much to ask, with your busy schedule and everything. A colleague at our firm has a five year old son who needs to be watched over while she and her husband go out for dinner tonight. Jordan and I would do it but, as you know, we have a meeting till seven. We'll try to be back as soon as possible. What do you say?" Mom says.

I sit next to her. It's just for a few hours that I have to babysit him for. I can definitely handle that. I give her a small, genuine smile. 

"Of course, mom."

She sighs in relief.

"You're such a sweetheart. I'll let her know you said yes. Her name is Yossalyn. I think you'll like her. She has a quirky side. She'll come by with her son at around 5:30. I'm sure you'll be fine with him. You are such a great big sister after all."

I smile at the compliment.

"I love you so much, dear." She says.

I grin and hug her. "I love you too, Mom."

"What about me?" Jordan says jovially, coming out of the kitchen. We all laugh.

"You too Jordan." Mom says, shaking her head in amusement.

"What are you making?" I ask, walking towards the kitchen.

"Mutton Biryani. But it's for dinner so no touching till it's finished." 

I pout. Jordan makes the best mutton biryani in the world. He got the recipe from my Mom's mother. My mom is a Palestinian American and Jordan is half Jamaican. They met at work, fell in love and got married. It was a sweet romance story. Both of them are Real Estate agents.

Just then, Ara and Azima come towards us, squealing.

"Daddy, can we watch Peppa pig now?" Ara asks.

"Of course honey. Jesy?"

I nod my head understanding that he wants me to take them out of the kitchen and lift her into my arms and pinch her nose lightly.

She pouts and I laugh, kissing her cheek.

"JJ, pwease take me too!" Azima squeals.

"Do you want a piggy back ride?"

She nods enthusiastically.

I laugh then, bend down as I let her climb onto my back.

We head towards the living room where Mom is working away busily on her laptop at the dinning table, with Sarah on her lap.

I switch on the Tv and set the twins down on the sofa.

Once I've got their favorite show on, I plop down on the sofa and scroll through my phone.

I've got a message from Jas.

Jas: Hey Boo, Whatcha doin?

Me: Watching Peppa pig with Ara and Azima. 

U?

Jas: You will never guess what happened.

Me: Ofc I won't. Tell me.