~Chapter 4

"Class, today you will be assigned  lab partners which will stay the same for the rest of the year." Mrs. Stacy says.

So far, Erick has been in all my classes and he just wouldn't leave me alone. Since we're seniors, the seats we have on the first day stay the same for the rest of the school year, that also means that Erick is now my seat partner for the rest of the year. What a joyful start to the school year.

"I'll be calling out your names as well as your partners so please pay attention." Mrs. Stacy continues,

"Jasmine Anthony and Jake Boyle." I glance at Jas and see her groan. Jake seems ecstatic. I smirk. Poor Jas, stuck with Jake. Jake is a senior volleyball player. He's has been trying to get Jas to go out with him for ages. Of course, Jas denied him every time. He has a huge crush on her. To be honest, they'd be a cute couple. Jake has blonde hair, ice blue eyes with a mischievous glint. Jas has wavy light blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes. She's really pretty.

"Naomi Patil and Tyler Sanders. Andrea Weber and Mathew John. Jessica Lopez and Jack Jones."

What? No, no no! Why! I do not like Jack, let alone anyone else! As Mrs. Stacy calls out the rest of of the partners, I drown out her voice and scream internally.

"Jessica, you look a little under the weather, do you need to use the restroom?" Mrs. Stacy asks with concern.

I nod and walk towards the restroom to recompose myself.

When I head back to class, I see, not Jack, but Erick at my desk.

Confused, I walk up to him.

"What the Hell are you doing here? You're not invited." I hiss.

"Oh, haven't you heard? Mrs. Stacy let Jack and I switch under my proposal. You're welcome." Erick says, cockily.

I groan. Why did he have to charm Mrs. Stacy into letting him switch places with Jack?

He is better than Jack, but still! I wanted to be alone!
"I wouldn't get ahead of myself if I were you, some might make assumptions about us." I warn.

"That wouldn't bother me." He says. My anger flares up even more.

"Now, I'm stuck with you for the rest of the year!" I groan.

"You say it like it's a bad thing. Do you not realize how many people would love to be my partner?" He says.

"Oh, believe me, I do. Why didn't you just choose one of those people?" I ask.
He just shrugs like it's nothing. But I know that there is a real reason behind why he asked our teacher to switch the seating arrangements. I let it slide and sigh. This is going to be one Hell of a year.

"Coach, we have some one who would love to replace Josh on the team. This is Erick. Erick, meet Coach Robyn."

I say, introducing the two of them. The entire volleyball team has now gathered in our school's volleyball court during Lunch.

"Nice to meet you, Coach." Erick says politely.

This flatters Coach. Not many seniors treat teachers with respect. She smiles and says, "Likewise. Now, show me what've you got." 

She blows her whistle and Josh moves to one side of the volleyball court while Erick moves to the other. I make my way over to Jas who is seated on the bleachers flirting with Jake.

"What are the chances that Erick will win?" I ask, trying to keep the interest out of my voice. Jas stares at me, eyebrows raised.

"What? I'm just asking because I'm the captain. I should know who my team members are."

"Well, they're both playing really well, so it's kind of hard to say." Jake says.

I move my eyes to Erick as I watch him play. He is swift, powerful and tactical.
Josh isn't able to hit the ball over the net in time to score his last point to break the tie.
Coach Robyn blows her whistle. "Erick! Josh! Group talk!" She says as she motions towards the bleachers where the rest of the team is seated.

"Alright. Erick, you and Josh are tied. The only way I can know for sure whether you are better than Josh is by testing you. I will be testing how well you mix with the team and whether you work well with them. Jesy, guide them through the rules." She says. 

I turn to face Erick who is flushed and sweaty, yet strangely hot.

What is wrong with me? Gross.

"Right. So, Erick, Andrea, Naomi, Jake, Zeke and Jas on one team. And Josh, Ricky, Kyle, Hailee, Kendra and I on the other. So, we play a match and whichever team wins, they get to lead the drills next time." I say. For us, leading the drills is very important and something to gloat about, because we all have favorite drills which vary from person to person. I like doing sit ups, which everyone else absolutely hates. Jas loves doing squats, which the rest of us hate.

We split into our teams and have group cheers before heading on to our respective sides of the court.

The game starts and soon, we are in the lead. Coach Robyn shouts instructions to the other team. "Naomi! Let Jake take it!"

The ball flies between Nai, and Jake. Naomi lets Jake take it, and Jake spikes it.  The ball moves to the back of the court, towards Zeke who is at the back of my court. He throws it back to Erick who sends the ball to Josh. Josh misses and the ball lands at his feet. Coach whistles.

"Alright, gather around, everyone. I have made my decision." Hot and sweaty, we all make our way towards Coach.

"Jas and Jesy, can I please talk to you for a second, before I make my final decision?" Coach asks.

We nod and exchange glances as we follow her outside the court.

"Jesy, since you are the captain, What do you think about Erick playing for the team?"

"I think he'll be a great aid because not only are his tactics and strokes good, but also his chemistry with the team."

"And Jas?"

"Erick seems to have skill, that's for sure, and as far as playing better than Josh, it's hard to say. They're both excellent players but I think we should put our bet on Erick." Jas says.

Coach nods and says, "I think we've made our decision then."

A/N:- Chapter 4 is finally out! Sorry I took so long. Anyway, please vote and comment! Bye <3