Chapter 21

"I'm sorry Celyn. I can't do this." Artios apologized, tucking the rock back into his pocket firmly.

"What do you mean Artios?" The trader's polite smile instantly melted into a murderous glare, "We had a deal, and I don't like being toyed with."

"I wasn't toyi-"

"You said you wouldn't chicken out." Celyn reached for her belt, sharp manicured nails brushing against a pinkish-gold object strapped to her hip. A gun. "You know what I do to chickens, don't you?"

"We have known each other for a long time Celyn, and I am grateful for everything you have taught me, but if I have to fight you for this, I will." Artios glared back, more serious than he had ever looked in his life. He reached for his sword, which was still resting in its sheath.

"This gem, it doesn't belong to me..." He continued, trying to reason with the trader, mostly because he didn't have the time to fight with her.

Every second he wasted was a second closer to Ivy's... He didn't want to think about that. He just had to hurry.

"That's never stopped you before." Celyn responded, raising a brow.

"Yeah, but this time it's not just anyone." The swordsman spoke, "I messed up and I have to fix it. This belongs to someone precious and no matter how much I try to convince myself, I can't give it away after all."

He clutched the sheath of his sword tighter in his palm, waiting for Celyn to get fed up and strike a blow, when she began to speak again.

"Wait." She stopped in her tracks with a serious expression, hand still secured on her gun, "Is this for..."

"Love?" Her eyes widened in excitement, taking Artios completely by surprise.

Her entire mood had reversed.

Oh yeah. How could the man have forgotten? Despite her ruthless job, Celyn was a hopeless romantic.

Ironically though, her own relationships never lasted over a week, and usually didn't end well (mostly for the other person).

"You're talking about the fool from before aren't you?! You stole his gem and now you're in love with him." The trader shrieked excitedly.

How was this the same person from before? Also how did she know?!

Celyn was one of the people Artios had never understood, or more specifically been able to read.

For one moment she could be your jolly friend and companion for life, and the next she could be your worst nightmare. It was really a game of luck with her, like flipping a coin.

It's why the swordsman didn't deal with her unless he had to.

"I...", love was a strong word but Artios didn't want to get into it right now. He was happy with just grabbing the bone he had been thrown, and rolling with it, "Yes."

"Say no more dear friend! Who am I to come in the way of a beautiful romance~" Celyn cooed, "You should've told me from the start. Oh look at you little Artios, all grown up and falling in love... I knew you would come around eventually!"