Chapter 18

"Mommy?" The small eight-year-old boy asked, legs dangling off the kitchen counter.

"Yes honey?" The burly woman beside him answered in a sing-song voice.

"Why do we have to let Uncle Winmore stay here? Can't he stay somewhere else? I don't wanna share my room..." The boy whined.

"Artios, sweetheart that's not very nice." His mother spoke sternly, taking her attention off the carrots she had been peeling earlier. "He doesn't have anywhere else to go."

"But why do we have to take him in?! He's not our responsibility!" Artios argued with a stubborn pout.

"You know little Arty, if your mommy had thought that way before, you wouldn't even have been in this world today." A lanky, raven haired man appeared from behind the duo, taking the little boy into his arms.

"What do you mean daddy?" Artios cocked his head in confusion before resting it on the man's shoulder.

"Well, hmm... Should I tell him Ravina?" The man smirked playfully at his wife.

"I'm not sure Arian. It is a BIG secret after all." She played along with her husbands antics, a mock-thoughtful expression adorning her face.

"I wanna know! Please tell me! I really wanna know! Please mommy and daddy?" Artios begged.

He hated when his parents shared those secret glances amongst each other without including him. It wasn't fair, he was part of the family too!

His father took a short moment of consideration before sighing dramatically, "I guess if you insist I could tell you, so long as you promise to be nicer to Uncle Winmore."

"I promise! I promise!" The boy emphasized, crossing his fingers against his chest to show that he really meant it.

"Alrighty then- Oof you're getting heavy aren't you little guy?" The man transferred his son into his wife's arms, taking the job of cutting the carrots in her stead.

"Are you sure it's not just your bones getting old and brittle? I can carry him perfectly fine." She teased.

She then bounced Artios in her arms a couple times to prove her point further, earning a small giggle from him.

"Well, those strong arms are part of the reason I fell for you my love." The husband flirted, making the mother's cheeks go pink.

"Tell me the secret story!" Artios whined loudly to get their attention back.

"Okay, okay, we'll tell you. Patience sweetheart." His father reassured as both the parents burst out laughing.

"I am patient..." The eight-year-old huffed crossing his arms in annoyance.

"Alright, alright..." Arian smiled fondly.

"Several years ago, when you weren't even born, I was a young man living alone in the cold city. I had just lost my job and my family, not a copper in my name. At this point, I was beyond desperate..." The man started.

"One evening, I was wandering all alone in the streets of Northwick, the town your mommy was born in. I had travelled up to there because someone had offered me the work of a bell boy in a small Inn and I instantly seized the opportunity because I had nothing else."