Chapter 9: The Truth

I got to the kids' door and overheard their conversation

"Where's dad, I'm scared"

How do I tell these innocent souls about their dad's death...?

"Su-yeong. It's too dark in here..."

The girl was trying to get his mind off things

"It''s okay. We're going to be alright"

 I could tell she was a good sister towards her brother...

 "And dad?"

This really broke my heart; they don't have any idea that their dad died, and I don't even know how I should break the news to them.

"Yeah, he'll be back soon"

I made my mind up now to go in so I could comfort them. I knocked on the door to make them aware of my presence.

"Kids, I'm here to help you"

They remained silent and I didn't know what to do so I decided to barge in myself... it quite was dim and all they had was a flashlight. I looked for some candles so I could bring light into the room and hopefully calm them down.

"Please, sir."

I looked at the child, expecting him to say something.

"Do you think you can save our dad?"

He looked at me with hopeful puppy eyes. I felt this immense ache in my heart, I really didn't want to put them through any more pain. At the same time, telling the truth was better than lying about it. But I doubt they would come with me without being told I could save their dad. He told me what happened and I looked at the floor, as I didn't want to show them that I knew everything that happened to their dad. I gulped. Nobody could survive that fall unless they get lucky.

I know"

I ensured them that I already knew what happened but they still had hope... It would be hard to tell them the news but it has to be done.

"Maybe he's still-"

I stopped her midway from talking so I could get this off my chest. I tried to say it in the nicest way possible:

"I'm afraid nobody can survive a fall from the 12th floor."