Chapter 18 - You are

"Evening," you sigh and take off your mask, dropping the bags of money to the ground.

"What the hell?!" Tony storms over as you give a shit eating grin. "Are you insane??"

"Possibly,"

"This isn't time for jokes, L/n!" Steve growls. "You could have hurt someone! Or yourself!"

"I'm glad you care," you look to Anna who nods and rushes to return the money. "But don't worry, no petty citizens were hurt today," you wipe the blood off your hands and onto your pants.

"What's with the blood??"

"You're welcome, Checkered Eagles, all gone, as for other gangs on SHIELD's list? They got a fair warning," cracking your neck with a groan, you look to Peter who furrowed his brows.

"Why?" he mumbles, only loud enough for you to hear.

One deep breath in and out, you walk to his side and kneel down. "Listen... this actually goes for all of you..." The team listened up. "This is how I deal with my emotions... my tactics have change to benefit the good side and not power up the bad," you pinch Peter's cheek with your non-bloody hand. "I could always go back to how I used to deal with it... But I won't,"

"What were your old ways?"

"Harmful... to me and others, the details will be spared," you stand up and look to the group with a dull look. "I won't kill people who don't deserve it, but I won't deal with my emotions by going to therapy, I've gone, it doesn't help, so leave me be, get on with your hero shit, and deal with it,"

"Just be careful," Peter hugged your tight making you tense. "Please,"

"Yes, of course, pumpkin," you pull back and smile. "Oh, jeez, I got blood on your clothes... not matter, I'll buy you some new clothes anyways,"

"Thanks,"

"No problem," you ruffle his hair before clicking your tongue. "Give me a minute then tell me about your afternoon with Ned,"

~~~

"One day you're going to get hurt," Wanda sighs.

"And I will ask for your forgiveness when that day comes,"

"You've talked with therapists, have you tried talking to friends?"

"Why do you think I keep Anna around? She's my only friend," you yawn and flick through the channels before shutting it off.

"We're your friends,"

"You? The team? You're not my friends," standing up swiftly, you walk through the hall.

"We are your friends, Y/n, we care,"

"You don't-"

"We do! We care about you, we are your friends-"

"YOU'RE NOT!" You scream out and spin to her with a teary smile. "You're not, don't lie to me," you laugh before digging your nails into your palms. "You're not..."

"We-" she reaches out only for you to flinch away.

"Don't touch me,"

"What's going on?" The team rushes into the hall to see you and Wanda at the end face to face.

"Just a misunderstanding, nothing too serious," you say calmly before walking away and to your room.

~~~

Flipping the page of your book the moment you heard a footstep, you grabbed your gun from the table. Listening closer, you knew who it was. "What do you want, Loki?"

"To say I'm sorry," you looked from your book and then to the crackling fireplace.

"You've said it, now leave," you hum before standing up and moving away to find another book in the vast collection.

"May I not add onto the sorry?"

"No, you don't need to," the book slipped back into place, Loki's figure looming behind you.

"I do, so at least listen to all that I have to say,"

"Fine, you have one minute,"

"Alright, I'm sorry for what I said, for bringing up assumptions that angered you, I didn't mean to do such a thing, I meant to help you, to let you see I was here for you to confine in. I wanted to show that you don't need to be like this all the time, you can be soft and caring like I've seen you been. You can be who your really are, without all this violence and pain, so accept my apology and try and confine in me," he whispered the last part as you sigh.

"You don't get it, do you?" pushing the book back you lean your head on the shelf. "You don't want to know what bothers me, I shouldn't burden you with all the hurt I keep inside because it will hurt you,"

"It won't burden me, Y/n," Loki places a hand on your shoulder. "I want to know, I want to comfort you in ways I wish people had with me. Yes, what you went through I may not have any idea about but the knowledge of someone being there for hard times should help comfort, am I wrong?"

"You're not... but-"

"Then tell me," he pleads softly, turning you to face him. "I care for you, Y/n, truly, and wish only for you to be happy,"

"I am happy,"

"You're not, I can see right through that lie," his thumb wiped away a tear. "You're not happy. That happiness you're referring to is a mask formed by this wall you built around yourself... You don't need that wall,"

"I do-"

"You don't, because I'm here, I'll always be here to protect you, let me be your wall, let us all be your wall, form this safe space in which you can speak freely," He caught you as your legs buckled, lips letting out a sob. Close, he held you in his arms, the pressure around you and emitting warmth calming your breathing.

"Why? Why do you care so much?"

"Need I a reason?" Loki held his tongue from spewing more. "You are a wonderful woman and one in need of affirmation that you have lacked for so long, because you are worth it, you are," he repeats.

"You are,"

~~~

Screams

Screams

- Anna ❤️