||36||

Renjun left his room at 10 PM. The sky was already dark and some silver stars were splashing it. He took the backpack and the keys from his car and went downstairs, where his mom was watching TV. Kun wasn't home yet, sign that he was working late again. As he looked at his mom, he felt his lower lip tremble. 

"Hey mom? I'm going out with some friends." The blonde haired male tried to sound fine when he spoke and he faked a smile when his mom looked at him. She stood up and approached her son, grabbing him softly by his shoulders. 

"You look sad. Are you sure you want to go out?" His mom caressed his cheek which made Renjun feel more than guilty. He tried his best to fight the tears that were forming and to look more then fine when he nodded. She didn't need to know about his pain and about his fucked up life. It would destroy her more than finding out he died few hours later. "Then have fun okay?" 

"Okay." The young man mumbled and hugged her. He buried his face in the space between her neck and her shoulder. That was their last hug. That was going to be the last time he would ever see her. He wanted to stay in that embrace more, but he pulled away and smiled. "See you later then." He waved at her before turning around and walking towards the front door. The moment he pressed the doorknob a tear fell down. He didn't turn around to see his mom's face when he jumped in the seat and turned on the engine. He didn't want to see her, because that would be too painful. 

Driving away from his home, Renjun started crying alone in the car. He felt awful, so awful, but he had no choice but to help Jaemin and then disappear from that world. For ten minutes, Renjun drove the car in silence until he reached an address. He parked the car in front of the apartment building and waited until a small man exited the place. Taeil opened the door and jumped in the passenger seat next to him. 

"Did you cry?" The older asked in a monotone way when Renjun started driving again. 

"Why did you suddenly want to help me? You clearly told us we'll play hide and seek until you kill us both." The blonde haired said without looking at him. He heard Taeil's soft chuckle. "What's so funny?" 

"This life is funny." The man sighed and rested his head by the window. "I never wanted to become like this. I just needed money to survive and when the mayor, the grand mayor gave me such expensive job, I couldn't decline the offer. With 1000 dollars per day I thought I could work for him for a while until I saved enough to move out, but I was wrong. I was stupid just like you, thinking I could get out. In the end I ended up being a psychopath, that's why pain doesn't bother me anymore. That's why I told you it would be better once you stepped out from the usual life, but you couldn't because you're weak." 

Taeil didn't say anything else and just listened how Renjun sobbed while trying his best not to crash the car. When he realized they might really crash, he made the younger stop the car in the middle of the street. 

"Let's switch seats. You'll kill us both like this." 

Nodding in agreement, Renjun exited the vehicle and sat down in Taeil's right. The truth hurt more than usual, maybe because he knew that this would be his last day living. 

"You're scared of death boy." Taeil admitted while driving. "Think of death as a friend, because at this point you don't have anything left. I'll kill myself too tonight, because I don't want to live the rest of my life inside a cell. We're both criminals, I hope you realized that." 

"I did." Renjun took a deep breath and looked outside. Houses, threes, buildings, people and groups of people filled the streets. They had such normal lives, unlike him. 

"That's good then." Taeil said and didn't speak again. They reached the mountain in an hour. There were people already there, cheerful to see the race. "Here." Taeil handed him a small box when he parked the car. "Don't lose it." 

"You didn't answer my question though. Why did you want to help me?" Renjun asked after taking it. He was shocked to see a sad smile forming Taeil's lips. 

"Because I don't want to leave this world knowing I left a monster like Mr. Na free. Good luck." The man ruffled his hair before stepping out, leaving Renjun speechless inside the car. 

Renjun exited the vehicle and threw the backpack in which he put the box over his shoulder. He felt more anxious, but the fact that he saw Jaemin's face in the crowd made him fell better a bit. The raven haired male saw him, but didn't approach. Jeno spotted the short male too and he nodded, a sign he said hello. 

"Renjun!" A happy voice rang in his ears, startling him. When he looked in his left, he saw Yangyang coming towards him, with Ten following behind. They both looked excited for the race. With all that happened lately, he almost forgot he'll have to make Yangyang's bright smile disappear for a while. Also, knowing he'll hurt Ten, the guy who became his friend few year ago out of nowhere, made Renjun's heart ache. 

"I hope you'll win." Ten ruffled his hair and chuckled. 

"I will, don't worry." Renjun chuckled and faked a smile. He will win this battel with himself and with his boss. Just like Taeil said earlier, he couldn't leave this world knowing that monster was free. Just as he was thinking, he spotted the tall figure of the mayor. He approached his son, who flinched and seemed more than terrified when his dad told him something. 

"Hey." The last person Renjun wanted to see there was Kun, who appeared out of nowhere. "I heard you'll race tonight." His brother hugged his shoulders, making Renjun freeze in spot. Why was he there too? "Don't worry, I'm not here to scold you or anything. I'm here to keep an eye on the mayor." 

"Oh..." The younger mumbled and cleared his throat. "Did he do something bad?" 

"He might be." Kun replied and straightened his back. "I heard I'll get some evidence tonight, that's why I'm here." 

"I see." The blonde haired mumbled and pushed himself away. "Good luck then." He chuckled before going somewhere far away from the group of three. When he walked past Mr. Na, he bowed. "I will win tonight sir." He told his boss, knowing he waited for him to react somehow because his victim was a meter away from him.    

"I'm sure you will." The man patted his back. 

Renjun walked away from them too. He didn't know what to do to calm down, because he was scared he might mess up. His lower lip tremble, along with his cold hands as he walked and walked until he bumped into a couple. When he looked up, he saw Donghyuck and Mark.  

"Sorry." Renjun whispered and was about to walk away from them too when the purple haired guy grabbed his arm. Donghyuck seemed to know that they won't see each other again, because he showed a small and sad smile. 

"It's your last race right?" The younger asked and when Renjun nodded, he looked at Mark. "You'll do just fine I guess." 

"I hope so." The blonde haired male was about to turn around when Donghyuck pulled him into an embrace, shocking him a bit. He started crying, which made Renjun tear as well. He wrapped one arm around his waist and tried not to cry as well. "Don't cry. It's going to be fine." 

"I wish I was a better friend. I didn't understand you until now." Donghyuck sobbed and even if Mark tried to comfort him, he still wouldn't let go of Renjun. "It's too late to help right?" The purple haired male finally pulled away and when Renjun shook his head, he tried his best not to cry harder. 

"I'll be fine. Live your life and be happy okay? I'll be too once everything is over."  

Feeling impossible to hold back his tears, Renjun told the two a last goodbye and left. He decided to go back to his car, because the race would start soon. He cried the whole way to the vehicle, or at least he teared, because he didn't want to be noticed. His biggest fear came to life. He hurt people in the end. 

I will be honest. I cried while writing this chapter and I don't know how will I write from now on to be honest because the end is close. Sometimes I hate that I have such ideas of stories but they have a sad ending.