•twenty•

as the end of february approaches, so does hoseok's 19th birthday. he finds himself waking up to multple text messages from his friends, but only one dimmed the growing smile on his face.

mom
happy birthday sweetie
i won't be home from work tonight but i left you a present on the table
enjoy your day today, love you

hoseok sighs, shooting his mother a curt 'thank you' text. it was no surprise that she wouldn't be home tonight, she never was anymore. even after promising that she would be, she couldn't hold herself to it. hoseok used to love celebrating his birthday with his parents, but after his dad passed away and his mom became distant, it was difficult for him to find the joy in it. a day once filled with laughter and fun was now spent alone sitting in an empty house. namjoon tried his best to keep hoseok company, but it always ended up the same no matter what. hoseok lying down in his bed, with nothing but static noise to fill his ears. he's used to it, so it doesn't take him much effort to move on from his mother's message and click on yoongi's, only to be interrupted by his phone ringing instead.

grinning at the name that displays on his phone screen, hoseok immediately accepts the call.

"happy birthday to youuu, happy birthday to youuu, happy birthday my beloved seokie, happy birthday to youuu!"

yoongi's voice is gravelly as if he had just woken up not too long ago, but it was perfect to hoseok.

"thank you 'gi, that was the best birthday serenade i've  ever heard~" hoseok giggles, imagining yoongi on the other end grinning with his wide gummy smile.

"thank you, thank you~ i've been practicing all morning if you couldn't tell."

"oh i could tell." hoseok had already forgotten about his mom's message, entirely focused on yoongi now.

"i'm excited to see you today, baby."

"so you're not always excited to see me?"

just from the tone, yoongi knows his doll is pouting those pretty pink lips of his and battting his eyelashes coyly, making the older scoff and smirk.

"you know i'm always excited to see you. me and yoongi junior~"

"you perv! god, who did i end up dating?" hoseok giggles, knowing he's accompanied by yoongi's cute silent laugh on the other end.

as their laughter dies down, hoseok stares up at his ceiling with a smile still plastered on his face.

"thanks for wishing me a happy birthday, yoongi."

"of course, baby. see you at school, yeah?"

"wouldn't miss your class for anything~"

"i know you wouldn't. talk soon."

after saying their goodbyes, hoseok turns so his face is buried into his pillow- which barely manages to conceal his squeal. fuck, how did he end up so lucky?

maybe this birthday won't be so bad after all.

*

hoseok doesn't bother opening up his mom's present for him, heading out the door instead as Namjoon was waiting for him outside. they were running a bit behind schedule due to yoongi's birthday call this morning. yeah- let's blame it on that rather than hoseok's squealing session in bed—