211 - My Way

Author's Note : Gong Xi Fa Cai / Happy Lunar New Year to everyone who's celebrating. For those of you in Southeast Asia but not celebrating, happy long weekend ❤️

Wat's POV

Every day, I missed Tine exactly the same or even more than the day before. It never became lesser and I never got used to it.

I carried his photo on me at all times. Just seeing his laughing face soothed me on the days when life felt too much.

I missed our conversations - his jokes, his teasing, his cute flirting, his scolding, his constant positivity, his encouragement.

I missed his smile, his pouts, his utter sweetness, his punches that I hardly felt but still pretended to be hurt by.

I missed being able to hold him, to kiss him and tell him all the time how much I loved him.

I regretted not realizing it sooner. I could have spent more than just a year loving the most perfect person in the world in every way he deserved.

I had tried to contact him once, a few months after I was brought to Tokyo. I thought I had been cautious and covered my bases.

I was followed everywhere. My phone was being tracked. Back then, I couldn't trust anyone else to seek help in reaching Tine.

So I wrote him a small letter, telling him we were okay and that he shouldn't worry and I would come back to him somehow. I put my bracelet in the envelope so he would know it was from me.

I had sneaked stamps from the office and casually dropped the letter in a public mailbox the next time I was out.

I came home that day to find my bracelet cut in half and the letter ripped to shreds on my bed. A note was left on my table.

"Next time, you'll find his head here."

I never dared to contact Tine directly again.

With time, I realized that it was probably better to let him move on. To live his life without me. To not wait for me.

He deserved happiness, and I could not give him hope. What would he get from knowing I was alive, except more uncertainty and pain?

I knew if he got any indication of my whereabouts or well-being, he would keep looking for me, pining for me, be consumed by the search.

I was trapped in this life with no way out for now. And as much as it hurt me to admit it, I wanted him to have the chance to find someone to love him, to take care of him, to treat him like the prince that he truly was.

So I decided not to reach out until I could find a way back to him. I only hoped he would be able to find it in him to accept me when I did.

Because there would never be anyone for me but him.

*

I was twenty one when I met Katsumi. I had been with the clan for over two years by then.

I was in Hong Kong, negotiating business terms for the shipping lines to China. I had managed to strike a deal that would double our carrying capacity at half the price of expansion.

I returned to my hotel room, exhausted beyond belief. I opened the door to find a scantily clad girl perched on the edge of my bed.

One look at her told me she was not a hooker. She was extraordinarily beautiful, her clothes, while meagre, were decidedly expensive, her watch was a Rolex and she wore Louboutins on her feet.

But what caught my attention was the visceral hurt in her eyes, even though her face remained impassive.

Her body was rigid and strained, as though she was holding herself back from fleeing. But her head was held high, and she had an undeniable dignity about her.