114 - Unbelievable

Wat's POV

"What?" yelped Tine, his mouth half open.

Mae and Por had come in by then. I laughed through my tears at the melted candles that were seeping into the icing of the cake in Por's hands.

"Wat, what is this we're hearing. Tell us everything, son" he demanded.

I took a deep breath and began my story. It still felt surreal to me.

"We had a match against a visiting team from the US Soccer League. I must have played a good game, because after the match a gentleman came up to me and asked me about my grades, my interests and stuff.

The next thing I knew, he was talking to the coach of our national team and looking at my transcripts from school. He made some calls and got a reference for me from Ms Doh.

The gentleman told me he was a scout from Harvard who had just tagged along with the team on his way to join his family for a vacation here. It was sheer luck that he saw today's match.

He called me earlier tonight and told me he had put in an express recommendation for me. He asked me to keep an eye out for an email from the admissions office, which would say whether or not I had got in.

I got the email ten minutes ago. I'm in.

I'm going to Harvard with you on a sports scholarship, my love"

*

Tine was the centre of my universe. He was the music that made my essence dance.

Every moment with him was a gift. Everything felt right and good and wholesome with him.

I was the best version of myself when I was with him. And all my demons and that snarky inner voice that always berated me, seemed to have become quieter with him by my side.

The months that followed were the best ones of my life.

Tine helped me stay on track to grow my GPA by a few more points to make sure my graduating score would be higher than the qualifying GPA needed for the Harvard sports admissions.

I focussed on eating right, reaching my peak fitness and giving my best in every match I played.

We would discuss and make plans about our life together at Harvard. Tine knew everything there was to know about the programs and departments, and Type was super helpful in giving us advice on where to live, what to do, what to come prepared for.

I felt like I was living in a dream. I had never imagined my life would be this perfect.

I would be going to one of the best colleges in the world, with the love of my life.

In the blink of an eye, we were almost at the end of the school year. Finals week had just ended. Prom was a week away.

That Saturday, Tine and his family had gone to visit his Grandma, as they frequently did. She was terminally ill, and didn't have much time left. Mae, especially, wanted to take every opportunity she could to visit her ailing mother.

After effectively ruining prom for everyone last year (no regrets, it got me Tine), I felt it was only right that I make up for it with a grand gesture.

I was planning an elaborate food themed promposal for Tine, which involved a cup of coffee, a donut, chocolate covered strawberries and cookies, at half-time during our last soccer match of the year two days later.

An insistent knock on the door broke into my thoughts. I glanced at the clock. It was rather late in the night for visitors.

I was only expecting Mom to come home from her shift, and that knock was definitely not hers.