101 - Best Friends

Tine's POV

"Wat, stop it. I need to finish this assignment" I whined, as my best friend Sarawat flicked balls of paper at me from my bed across the room.

"You're so boring, Tine. We should be out there, boozing it up and getting it on with the girls, like the rest of the boys" he complained.

I turned to him and rolled my eyes. "No one is stopping you from going. And you're getting plenty from many girls, so I'm not even sure what you're complaining about."

My heart twinged a little as I spoke.

"It's not fun if you're not there" pouted Wat.

Seeing him sprawled out on my bed, his long, lean body laid out so temptingly, made my heart thump.

I had loved Wat for as long as I could remember. Pretty much from the age of five, when I first met him.

He had moved into our neighbourhood with his mother and his baby brother, Phukong.

The day we met, he had fought with my brother Type, who was bullying me at the time.

He got beat up and lost the fight, but he had won my heart by the end of it.

Sadly, he liked girls. Plural.

He was currently seeing two. Slept with them both within a week of going out with them, separately and together.

And as his best friend, I was his wingman.

The one who filtered the girls who wanted to be with him, giving the right edge to the girls who he'd be interested in, and gently leading away the ones who wouldn't be able to handle the heartbreak.

The one who became a friend and confidant to the girl of the moment.

The one who lent a sympathetic ear to the girls he dumped.

I'd ended up making too many friends and been privy to way too many bare-all conversations for my comfort.

And all through it, I loved him. Like a moth drawn to the flame, my stupid heart beat only for him.

"I have no interest in the keg parties your soccer team throws. They are always messy and loud and frankly, boring.

Girls throw themselves at you, you disappear with someone less than ten minutes in, and I am always left baby-sitting the drunk ones.

Why don't you ask Mil to take you along now, and call me when you're ready to come home? I'll come pick you up, because you are sure to be too drunk to drive" I reasoned.

Wat huffed and let out a long sigh.

"Fine. I'll go with Mil. But you'd better come when I call, otherwise my bad decisions will be your responsibility" he warned and chucked a paper ball that hit me squarely on my forehead.

"Ouch" I exclaimed and rubbed the spot that stung. Wat looked guilty.

He got off the bed in one fluid motion and knelt before me, his face close to mine.

He put a cool hand on the nape of my neck, cupped my cheek in the other, and gently rubbed my forehead with his thumb.

My breath hitched in my chest, my heart thudded so loudly I was sure he would hear it, my lips parted slightly and my head spun.

He looked deep into my eyes and I felt myself drowning in the pools of warm brown.

"Why didn't you dodge, stupid?" he asked softly. I shrugged my shoulders, not trusting words to come out of my parched throat.