202 - Tears and Napkins

Tine's POV

"No... no... please... please... nooooo" whimpered Earth in his sleep.

I sat up and switched on the bedside light. I pulled back his duvet. His body was drenched with sweat, seeping into the sheets.

I opened the windows and switched off the aircon. He had started to shiver now.

I went to the bathroom and brought a warm wet towel.

"Earth, it's okay. It's just a dream" I said, stroking his hair and shaking him awake gently.

He sat up, wild eyed and heaving. His red rimmed eyes darted around the room, his fingers gripped the sheets tight. His body was rigid and poised for flight.

I cupped his face and turned him to me. "Earth, look at me. It's just a dream" I said, softly but firmly.

Slowly, his breathing became normal, his pupils reduced to their normal size and he seemed to recognize his surroundings.

"Fuck. I'm so sorry, Tine" he said, groaning and burying his face in his hands.

"Take off your t-shirt" I said, picking up the warm towel to wipe him clean.

"This is not the time for seduction, Teepakorn. Give me ten minutes to recover and try again" grinned Earth, though he still sounded shaky.

I whacked the back of his head lightly and threw the towel on his face.

"Asshole. You're clearly fine. I'm going back to sleep" I huffed and went back to my side of the bed, relieved.

He rarely had these dreams anymore and recovered quicker now. Not like before, when he would cry for hours in his sleep sometimes.

Like I used to.

I heard Earth go to the bathroom and close the door. I listened to the water running and splashing sounds.

I pulled off the bed covers and spread out a fresh sheet.

I switched off the light and lay down on my side.

He came out five minutes later and rummaged through his wardrobe for a change of clothes.

I felt him climb into the bed a minute later. He smelled fresh.

I sighed as he held me from behind, spooning me. I slipped my hand on his, and we drifted off to sleep.

*

"Wake up, sleepyhead. Didn't you say you had to go to work early today?" said Earth, holding a steaming mug of coffee.

The smell of it made my senses perk up. I sat up and stretched, yawning widely.

I quickly brushed my teeth, washed my face and came back to the coffee.

"Aahhh. This is exactly what I wanted" I said, savouring the bitter, slightly nutty flavour.

Earth made the best coffee. He roasted the beans himself at home. It was one of the few indulgences he allowed himself.

I had a shower and got dressed for work in my jeans, a white t-shirt and a fitted black leather jacket over it. Comfortable sneakers and aviator shades completed my look.

I picked up my wallet and satchel bag that had a few work essentials.

"I hate you" muttered Earth looking at me in the mirror and pouting.

He was busy tying the perfect knot. He looked every bit the hot-shot attorney in his drainpipe grey trousers, grey jacket, cream shirt and shining black leather shoes.