𝟷𝟿.

warnings: spoilers for A Nightmare on Elm Street

Spencer exhales as he steps out of the SUV, go bag in hand

Spencer exhales as he steps out of the SUV, go bag in hand. He walks around to the other side of the vehicle, eyes landing on Y/n. The team had gotten done with the case a couple hours ago, the unsub caught and in custody. He and Y/n had woken up earlier that morning, Y/n still wrapped up in Spencer's arms.

He didn't really know what was wrong with her last night—but he knew that she wasn't really okay. Something was off yesterday, but he didn't want to push her. Whatever it is she's going through, if she ends up trusting him enough, he'll know in time. But for now, he's content with just being there for her.

"Do you wanna get some dinner? You should eat something," he says to her as they walk through the FBI building.

She thinks for a moment before nodding. "Sure, yeah. I'm a little hungry."

Spencer grins, pushing open the door to the parking lot. "There's this really good Indian place a few blocks away from my apartment."

"That sounds great," she says with a smile, glancing over at Spencer.

Spencer begins leading Y/n toward the metro, butterflies fluttering in his stomach when she gently grabs his hand. He laces his fingers with hers, ignoring the way his face flushes as they walk. The evening air is cool, the sun just beginning to settle beyond the horizon, painting the sky soft purples and pinks.

Eventually, the two of them head onto the metro, Spencer keeping Y/n's hand in his. His body fills with a sense of comfort knowing that she's comfortable enough around him to hold his hand. He knows they're not dating—and he's glad. She's not emotionally or mentally ready for a new relationship.

They sit on the metro, Y/n playing with Spencer's fingers. She holds his hand open, tracing along the tendons and veins resting along his hand before tracing the outline of his fingers. A smile tugs at Spencer's lips as he watches her, the tiny action enough to make warmth spread throughout his body. He keeps her eyes on his hand, and when she's finished, she laces her fingers through his again.

"I'm glad we're back in D.C.," she admits after a moment.

Spencer furrows his brows. "Why's that?"

She shrugs slightly, turning her head to let her eyes rest on Spencer's face. "It gives me a sense of normalcy."

Spencer nods, only half understanding her words. He liked going on cases—that's part of the reason why he loves his job so much. He got to see new places and catch serial killers. He wonders if it was too soon for Y/n to come back on the job. The stuff they see is pretty horrible, and he doesn't know what she's battling inside of her own mind, so he doesn't know what might trigger her.

The metro comes to a stop, and the two of them get up, walking out of the train and up toward the busy D.C. streets. Spencer leads her to a restaurant on the corner, his favorite Indian takeout place. He greets the hostess, and she leads them to a little table off to the side, next to the window. He makes sure Y/n is sitting before he sits, opening the menu even though he knows exactly what he wants.