𝟷.

She's always quiet

She's always quiet.

That's the first thing Spencer Reid noticed about Y/n when she joined the team a few months ago. She comes to work, she does her paperwork, and she leaves. And if there was a case, she'd give her input—very intelligent input, might Spencer add. She's smart, that's another thing about her he'd noticed early on. As well as intelligent, she's good in the field. Fast reflexes. A natural.

She keeps to herself. But surprisingly, she seems to open up to Spencer more than the other team members. Their desks are right next to each other, so sometimes during work, they talk. She transferred from the Boston field office where she broke up human trafficking rings. She's 27, significantly younger than everyone else on the team. She likes Dunkin coffee—she comes in almost every day with one. She has a boyfriend, but Spencer's never heard her go into detail about him.

He does notice little things about her, though. She picks at her bottom lip and seems to always be bouncing her leg—she's anxious. She has a bad habit of picking off her nail polish. Whenever she wears her hair up, she always leaves two pieces to frame her face, but she always ends up pushing them behind her ears anyway. It doesn't take a lot to make her smile; even Spencer's stupid jokes make her laugh most of the time.

He considers her a good friend. 

He knows the little, obvious things about her. That's about it. Like he said, she comes to work, she does her paperwork, and she leaves. Almost like clockwork. And every couple weeks, Garcia would ask if she wanted to go out with the team, and every time, she declines.

He finds it a bit odd.

But he doesn't ask her about it. Everyone has their thing. Maybe Y/n's thing is going home after a long day and relaxing. Maybe she has some super-secret life the team doesn't know about. Maybe she's just not a people person. Spencer doesn't press, because he hates it when people press him—so why do it to other people?

"Whatcha thinkin' about?"

Spencer looks up from his desk, meeting Tara's eyes. "Oh, nothing. Just...nothing."

Tara raises her eyebrows. "Do you wanna come out with us? We're leaving soon."

"Sure. But just for the company." Spencer grins at Tara, leaning forward on his elbows. "Y/n, wanna come?"

She looks up from her desk, meeting Spencer's eyes for a moment before blinking and looking away. "No. Thanks, though. I have plans."

Spencer nods, pursing his lips. "Yeah, no, maybe another time."

Her lips turn up at the corners. "Maybe."

Tara gives Spencer a smile before walking away. Spencer looks over at Y/n, watching her scribble on some files in front of her. She writes fast, like himself, and her handwriting is almost as messy as Spencer's. Statistically, messy handwriting is a sign of high-intelligence, and that seems to prove true.