𝟷𝟾.

warnings: mentions of self-harm, mentions of suicide, mentions of violence, descriptions of self-harm scare, anxiety attacks, descriptions of dead bodies, slight Game of Thrones spoilers (nothing big)
this chapter deals with some pretty heavy topics. please read with your own discretion.

"Are you alright, princesa?"

You tear your gaze away from the road, turning your head to look at Luke. The SUV is quiet, the sound from the radio barely audible. You fiddle with your fingers, picking at the chipped polish on your nails.

Both you and Spencer had gotten phone calls early this morning from Prentiss. A case had popped up in Alexandria, Virginia—men were popping up dead all around the city. It's your first case back since the incident at the bar, and you're a little nervous. Spencer had asked you a thousand times if you were comfortable coming back to work on a case, and you'd assured him that you were.

Which is only partly true.

In the matter of almost two months, your life has been turned upside down. But not in a bad way—just in an overwhelming way. Spencer has been...very sweet to you, more than you deserve.

The date yesterday had gone really well, and you're still surprised at how much Spencer pays attention to you and seems to care about you. He's respectful of boundaries and doesn't want to push you into doing something you don't want to do.

He gives you butterflies.

And not the bad kind, either. Not the nervous kind you'd get when Owen used to come home angry or if you'd missed one of his phone calls. Spencer gives you the nice kind—the kind that makes you feel warm and makes your face feel hot. You had felt it when he kissed your forehead yesterday, when you two had cuddled in his bed and fallen asleep together. It was a nice feeling. It's something you haven't felt in a long time.

Plus, there was the added bonus of Sulley now. He had curled up next to you and Spencer after the two of you had fallen asleep last night. In fact, when you woke up this morning, he was curled up on Spencer's chest. It was a cute little sight, but as soon as Sulley laid his eyes on you, he'd gotten up and crawled over to nuzzle into your neck. You love that cat so much.

Prentiss had paired you and Luke together to go to the coroners, and most of the ride had been spent in silence. You don't really indulge in a lot of small talk, and you know Luke isn't going to try to push you into talking if you don't want to. Still, his question is sweet. He cares.

You give Luke a small smile, nodding. "Yeah, I'm okay." You pause, averting your gaze. "I mean, I'm better than I was."

His eyes flick down your face, noticing the bruise resting on your jaw before turning his attention back to the road. "Your jaw is looking better."

Your fingers trace over the bruise, biting the inside of your cheek. "Yeah, it barely hurts anymore."

"That's good," he says, a small smile tugging at his lips as he focuses on the road.