𝟷𝟹.

warnings: violence, blood, nightmares

Spencer wakes up to the sound of sobbing

He jolts awake, his breathing accelerating as he sits up in bed. It takes him a moment to remember that Y/n slept in his room next to him, and he turns his head to look at her. She's on her side, her body shaking, loud sobs slipping past her lips. Tears are streaming down her face. She's having a nightmare—a really bad nightmare.

Spencer turns his whole body to face her, resting on his knees beside her. He gently puts his hand on her shoulder, turning her to rest on her back.

"Hey, Y/n...wake up. You're having a nightmare, you need to wake up," he says, his voice soft but firm as he gently shakes her.

It takes a moment, but her eyes jolt open, her breathing almost panic-like. Her eyes look at Spencer's face—but she's not actually looking at him. Fear rests in her eyes, and she shrinks away from his touch, shaking her head.

"Y/n, it's Spencer. It's just me," he tells her, his eyes searching her face.

It takes a moment of coaxing, but the fear in her eyes eventually dissipates. She blinks a few times, her body relaxing as he regains her bearings, tears still trickling down her face. Her breathing is still erratic, and Spencer scrunches his brows slightly.

"It's just me. You were having a nightmare," he explains, his voice gentle.

She's quiet for a moment, trying to catch her breath. "I-I was."

"You're okay," he assures her. "You're here with me."

He gently releases her shoulders, turning his body to rest his back against the pillows. He opens his arms slightly. If she's comfortable enough, he'd like to try to comfort her. She looks at him for a moment before nodding slowly, shifting closer to Spencer. She puts her head on Spencer's chest, and one of Spencer's hands rests in her hair, gently running his fingers through it.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks, not wanting to push his boundaries.

"I...." She trails off, and he feels her press her forehead into his shirt. "It was about Owen. And that night." Her body shakes and he feels the sob escape her lips. "It felt so real. I-I could feel the punch and I—"

"Sh, hey, it's okay. You don't have to say it," Spencer whispers. "It's okay. He's not here. He will never hurt you ever again."

She doesn't respond, but Spencer knows she hears him. Her body is still shaking, and she's still crying—Spencer can feel the tears dampen the fabric of his shirt. Slowly, he leans his head down, pressing his lips to the top of her head. The kiss is gentle. He doesn't want to frighten her. After a moment, he pulls his lips away from her head, continuing to stroke her hair.

Eventually, her body stop shaking, her forehead still pressed to Spencer's chest. He glances over at the digital clock on the table beside the bed. It's only 4:23 AM. She's so still, her breathing so even, Spencer's sure she fell asleep.