𝟸.

Spencer's phone ringing jolts him out of a dreamless sleep, and he groans, opening his heavy eyes as the shrill noise rings through his room

Spencer's phone ringing jolts him out of a dreamless sleep, and he groans, opening his heavy eyes as the shrill noise rings through his room. He rolls over onto his stomach, squinting at the screen before bringing the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" He croaks, his voice raspy from sleep. He rubs one of his eyes with a closed fist, blinking hard.

"Hey, Spence, sorry to wake you. We have a case."

"M'kay, I'll be there soon."

He lets his phone fall to the bed as he sits up, yawning before swinging his legs over the edge of the bed. He stretches as he stands up, hobbling to the bathroom to pee and wash his hands before brushing his teeth. Shuffling back into his room, he heads into his closet, grabbing a navy blue button up and a pair of gray pants, sloppily tying a tie around his neck. He shoves his arms through one of his soft cardigans. He pulls on a pair of mismatched socks before pulling on his Converse, yawning yet again before grabbing his phone and heading into his kitchen.

Spencer's never really been a fan of breakfast—he's always awake too early in the morning to be hungry. Instead, he settles on coffee. Even though he prefers tea, he needs something to keep him awake for work. He pops his Keurig on before grabbing a travel coffee mug, placing it under the spout and popping a new pod into the machine. He presses the button, hearing the whirring of the Keurig before the coffee drips into his cup, filling his nose with the familiar scent.

He hums to himself, shoving his phone in his pocket, moving to the couch to grab his bag. He throws it over his shoulder before walking back to his coffee cup, promptly stirring sugar in it before putting the lid on it. Grabbing his keys, he shuts his apartment door behind him before locking it and heading to the metro.

His ride on the metro is uneventful, as always. He takes small sips of his coffee as the train zooms through the D.C. underground, getting off at his stop and walking up the stairs two at a time. It's nice out—the middle of September is pleasant in Virginia, especially in the early morning. The cool air wafts around him, and he smiles to himself, knowing his cheeks are a rosy pink from the chill.

He swipes his card, walking into FBI Headquarters, briskly walking to the elevator. It dings after he presses the button, and he steps inside, heading up to the sixth floor. He rocks back and forth on his heels slightly, one hand gripping the strap of his bag, the other gripping his coffee.

It had been a few days since the team had gone out to the bar, and it had been a few uneventful days at that. The days were spent at his desk, doing paperwork, making small talk with Y/n. Apparently, her and her boyfriend had just had their one year—they had started dating when she was in Boston and he had moved to D.C. with her. That's why she didn't go out with the team that night. Spencer had noticed how tired she looked, the circles under her eyes warring his own.

He strolls into the roundtable room, everyone present except Y/n. He sits down, glancing over the paper file in front of him, everyone else glancing at their tablets. His eyes flick to the door, watching Y/n quickly walk into the room, sounding out of breath as her eyes flick to each member of the team.