𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮

Chapter Twenty-Six
BUT I LOVE YOU

     "He's my grandfather?" Mara looked confused

"He's my grandfather?" Mara looked confused. Why hadn't he told her? Did he even know? Ryan looked at her confused too.

A knock came at the door and Mara looked to see Johnny standing behind the doctor. "Hey, short-stack. How are you feeling?"

"Did you know?" Johnny looked confused.

"Did I know what?"

"That Kreese was my grandfather. Did you know?"

Johnny sighed and looked down. "Yes."

     "Did anyone else know?"

     "Miguel. But I told him not to tell you, Mara. He's not a good person. I couldn't let him around my students and that included you."

"He's my family! I had a right to know!"

"Kid I-"

"Does he know who I am? That Ryan and I are his grandchildren?"

Johnny nodded. "I told him not to tell you."

Mara turned and looked down at her bed. "Get out."

"Mara pl-"

Mara snapped her head over to him. "Get out!"

Johnny backed up slowly before leaving the room. The doctor looked uncomfortable. "I'll leave you two alone to process this...new information. I'm going to try and find a way to contact Mr. Kreese."

Ryan held Mara's hand. "Maybe he just wanted what was best for you Mara."

"I don't give a shit. Don't you understand Ryan? Kreese did more for me than Dad ever did. He treated me like a daughter more than my own father. And it turns out we're actually family and instead of telling me Johnny sent him away. He didn't even let me say goodbye first. Can I just be alone for a minute?" Her brother nodded and stood up and Mara laid down in her bed and closed her eyes.

     Mara woke up later and opened her eyes to see Moon sitting beside her bed. She smiled at her girlfriend and sat up. "Hey, I was wondering when you would come."

     "Yeah, sorry I took so long. How are you feeling?"

     "Physically? Just a minor concussion. Emotionally? I'm not sure yet."

     Moon nodded and moved a strand of hair out of the girl's face. "You scared me, Mars."

     Mara placed a kiss on the inside of Moon's hand. "I'm sorry. I'm glad you're here though."

     Moon nodded slowly and pulled her hand away from Mara's. "I love you, Mara."

     Mara smiled. "I love you too."