𝐕𝐈. 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥𝐬

Chapter Six
SPACE GIRLS

     "Code Red!" Mara collapsed to the floor dramatically

     "Code Red!" Mara collapsed to the floor dramatically. "I'm moving too fast! Preparing for emergency crash landing!"

     "Your. Shhh. Breaking up. Shhhh. Agent Mars, what is your location?"

     "I have lost control of my ship! Agent Moon, you are my last hope!"

"Girls! Time for dinner!" Mara and Moon quickly took off their helmets and ran into the kitchen. The smell of spaghetti filled their noses and they grinned at each other. Spaghetti was Moon's favorite food and Mara's mom made it whenever Moon came over.

Mara's father took his usual spot at the head of the table and Laura sat on the right side of him. Ryan took the seat next to his mother and Mara and Moon took up the left side of the table.

As soon as they sat down the three 10-year-olds dug into the food. Mara completely ignored her spoon and only used her fork to eat her pasta. She slurped the noodles when they were too long and got a warning look from her mother. "Sowy" she apologized with a mouth full of food.

Moon snorted and filled her mouth until it was overflowing with spaghetti. She looked over at Mara. "Chubby Bunny." Ryan and Mara both broke out into uncontrollable laughter. Ryan had spit out his fruit punch by accident and it was dripping down his chin.

Laura looked at her husband and he just shook his head with a smile. They had to let kids be kids. He was just glad they weren't trying to grow up too fast. He did not want to deal with a rebellious teenager. Laura rolled her eyes at her husband but she too couldn't help the smile that appeared on her face as she watched her kids get along and laugh with their friend.

"So girls." Ryan gave her a look. "and boy. How has school been going?"

"Eli and I made this really cool science project! Mrs. Morrison said it's the best one she's seen in years and she wants us to enter it in the science fair!" Laura smiled at her daughter. There was no denying that Mara was a gifted student. But she was also a natural athlete too. Laura couldn't be prouder.

"I'm proud of you guys. The science fair isn't at the same time as your practice is it?" When Mara shook her head no, Laura nodded and then turned her attention to her son. "How about you Ryan?'

"Well, I got a C on my last test. I studied really hard for it but I still didn't do well." He played with the food on his plate, nervous about how his mother would react. Unsurprisingly, it was his father that spoke.

"That's ok son. You'll do better next time. Maybe you can ask your sister to study with you or maybe one of your friends?" Ryan nodded but didn't look up from his plate.

Laura gave her husband a look. "Ryan, I understand school is tough for you. Are we sure you don't need to take a break from football to focus on school some more?"