𝐗𝐗𝐈. 𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐑𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Chapter Twenty-One
TAKE A RIGHT

     Moon was practically speeding down the road to get to Mara's house

     Moon was practically speeding down the road to get to Mara's house. The girl's voice sounded frantic on the phone and it scared Moon. The blonde girl pulled into Mara's driveway and jumped out, not even bothering to lock her car door. She grabbed the spare key from underneath one of the flower pots in their garden ( which was only maintained because their neighbor across the street tended to them ) and quickly opened the door.

The first thing she noticed was all of the glass on the floor. She carefully stepped over the shards and made her way down the hallway to Mara's room. The doorknob to Mara's room had blood on it and that terrified Moon. She tried to open the door but it was locked. "Mara?" Moon banged on the door. "Open the door."

     There was no response and that scared Moon more. "Mara you're scaring me. Please open the door." There was still no response and Moon kneeled down and looked underneath the small space beneath the door. She saw a shadow sitting in front of the other side and so she sat down and put her ear to the door. She strained her hearing to see if she could hear any sound coming from inside the room and all she could hear were small sniffles from the other side. "Mara? Please let me in. You can lock the door again once I'm inside."

She didn't think Mara would answer but there was a click and the door creaked open slightly. Moon quickly stood up and entered the room closing the door and locking it again. She looked down at Mara who was sitting right beside the door with her knees pulled up to her chest. There were tear tracks down her cheeks and she was staring blankly ahead of her.

     Moon slowly walked over to the girl and bent down in front of her. The girl didn't acknowledge her presence and Moon realized that whatever had happened earlier was replaying in the girl's head. It must have been traumatic for her to react this way. Moon gently wiped some of the tears from the girl's cheeks and smiled sadly at her. "Can you tell me what happened?"

     Mara's eyes slowly drifted to meet Moon's and tears started to fill her eyes. "H-He. He—" The girl's breathing started to pick up as she struggled to get the words out. She was clearly in distress so Moon carefully sat herself down beside Mara and gently pulled the girl into her arms, holding her tightly. She could feel Mara relax slightly and rest her head on Moon's chest.

     Moon just pulled her face to look at hers. "Breathe for me ok? In and out. In and out. Good. Just copy me." Mara watched her and soon her breathing started to even out, but then the tears came. Months of holding back her tears were let out in a heartbreaking sob and Moon pulled her closer. "It'll be ok. You can tell me when you're ready. I'm right here."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     Moon rubbed Mara's back as the girl laid in her arms. Mara had been sitting there in the blonde's embrace listening to the sound of her heartbeat to try and calm down. Moon could feel her shaking and she wanted to know what had troubled the girl so much that she physically couldn't talk about it.