𝐗𝐈𝐕. 𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐕𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐲

Chapter Fourteen
ALL VALLEY

     It was the day of the tournament and Mara was more ready than ever

     It was the day of the tournament and Mara was more ready than ever. She hadn't talked to Moon or Hawk since the party and she didn't plan on it either. Her mind was focused on the All Valley and winning.

     She had a killer hangover, but Ryan had cooked up a home remedy that cleared up her headache. Now the two were sitting at the table eating breakfast. Mara made French toast for the both of them and the two were eating in silence.

     "Are you excited for the tournament?" Ryan dumped more syrup on his French toast and looked at his sister. He didn't know what happened at the party, but he could tell it really took a toll on her. She had been glaring at everything since she sobered up, any playful attitude she had while drunk completely gone. Mara stabbed her fork into her food and looked up at him and Ryan took that as his answer. "I feel bad for whoever's at the other end of your anger."

     The front door opened and their dad walked in. He had worked the night shift at the hospital and was just now coming home from work. "Hey, kids. What's the special occasion?"

     "Mara has a karate tournament today," Ryan answered with a mouthful of food.

     "I didn't know you were taking karate, Mars."

     Mara didn't bother looking up at him. "You didn't ask."

     "Well, I'll get changed and drive you kids there. It'll be a family thing."

     Mara got up from the table and glared at him. "I don't want you there. This is the first time you've talked to me in years where you weren't insulting me and you think I want you anywhere near me?" She stormed off to her room to get ready for the tournament leaving her shocked father in the kitchen.

    Shane Abrams sighed and placed his bag down by the door. He walked down the hall and knocked on Mara's door. "Hey, Mars. Can we talk? Please?"

"Go away!"

"Look, I know I messed up. I neglected you and insulted you and what you liked to do. I was and currently am a terrible father and I'm so sorry. I want a chance to fix things between us."

"It's been six fucking years and you're just now realizing that," he heard her yell from in her room. "You're full of shit. You weren't there for me when mom died! You weren't there for me for anything! I never even knew where you were half the time! You would come home when I was asleep and leave before I woke up! The only person who ever saw you was Ryan. As far as I knew I didn't have a father!" She opened her door and he saw that she had packed her bag for the tournament. She glared at him. "And I still don't. You're only apologizing to look good and save your miserable ass."

"God. Here you go with your shit again! I tried to be nice and you're still a brat about it. Go have fun at your little karate tournament."

Mara brushed past him and grabbed Ryan from the kitchen and the twins left the house. Ryan had to drive her to the arena since her jeep was still parked at the canyon. He was taking her to pick it up after the tournament.