𝐢𝐢. 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭

Chapter Two
STRIKE FIRST

     Mara examined herself in the mirror still not sure if she was going to go through with this

Mara examined herself in the mirror still not sure if she was going to go through with this. What Demetri said the day before gave her a boost in confidence and she decided she wanted to switch things up.

Mara had spent an hour this morning going through her clothes to find the perfect outfit. Clothes lay discarded around her room, all having been tossed to the side. She usually just wore jeans and a t-shirt but today was the day she was going to try something new.

She decided on wearing a red plaid mini skirt with a long sleeve back shirt. She threw a grey t-shirt over that and tucked it into her skirt. She finished the outfit off with black combat boots. She felt confident in herself. She even left her hair down for the first time and let it fall down her back in its natural waves.

     She turned away from her mirror and grabbed her bag that was sitting on her desk chair. As soon as she left her room, the smell of bacon filled her nostrils and she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion knowing that her family never cooked breakfast. She made her way down the hall, mentally preparing herself for what she was about to see.

Her dad was standing in the kitchen with three plates of bacon and eggs sitting on the counter in front of him. He looked up when he noticed her come in and gestured for her to take a seat.

"What's the special occasion", she wondered aloud.

"Your brother was named captain of the football team. So we are going to congratulate him with a celebratory breakfast."

Mara frowned at her father's words. "I'm happy for him but this seems kind of out of character for you. You never did this before."

"Well before there was nothing to celebrate."

"I got first in my cross country meet last year and got named co-captain."

"Well your team isn't very good, so it wasn't that hard. Your brother, however, had to go against a bunch of talented boys to get that spot. It takes hard work and dedication."

"I spent months training for that meet. I had to go against talented people from other's schools to win too."

"Mara I don't have time for your dramatics today so can you please sit down and eat."

Mara reluctantly nodded. She ignored her brother as he came out of his room. Her father patted his back and put his plate in front of him. The two talked about Ryan's tryouts for the team and Mara just stayed silent while she ate. It was times like these she missed her mother. Laura Abrams was always supportive of both her children and constantly made an effort to make sure they knew that.

The three finished their breakfast and Mara quickly washed the dishes and put them away. She followed Ryan out the door and the two got into their separate cars before leaving for school.