Chapter 31: "They Bruise..." [Grand Finale]

A/N DISCLAIMER
RWBY is property of RoosterTeeth and Monty Oum. All art/vids/music shown are property of their respective artists/companies.

[Location: Beacon Academy]

Acting fast, Pyrrha threw her shield to counter a fireball directed towards Jaune Arc. Once the flame seemingly snuffed itself out, Pyrrha used her semblance to return the shield to her arm. Without skipping a beat, she ran towards Cinder Fall, who stood atop a collapsed pillar.

Meanwhile, Ruby initiated combat with the fall maiden. Her scythe locked with Cinder's glass blade. Simultaneously, Ozpin swept his cane towards the maidens legs. In response, Cinder relented on her volley of fire to block the attack with a hastily formed sword.

When their battle first began, Cinder had held the upper hand. Now however, she was slowly exerting herself. The new power from the maiden had been a much needed upgrade, yet it was still not enough. Before she could gather herself, Pyrrha had lunged upon her. With a harsh throw, Pyrrha's fist came in contact with Cinder's face. As a result, the fall maiden flew backwards, rolling several times on the vault floor.

Slowly rising to her feet, her breathing was taxing. The same was said about the other four combatants. Ruby, the least exaughsted surprisingly, took a step toward her friend turned enemy. She believed there was still good left in Cinder. The times they shared together was proof of that. Ruby simply couldn't believe Cinder was evil from the start. If she was, wouldn't she have separated her companions to cut them down one by one?

Throughout the entire battle, Cinder had ample opportunity to finish everyone off. Multiple times, at that. Ruby was innocent and young...but she knew how to somewhat read her opponents, courtesy of her uncle's rigorous training. She knew Cinder could have killed them and yet...Cinder hadn't.

Ruby: "Cinder, why?! Why are you doing this?"

With taxed breathing, Cinder debated whether or not she should answer her former friend and classmate. She had a duty to fulfill. One that she had been determined to complete. A goal she had been working towards from the very start. Salem's conquest. She couldn't turn back now, she had no choice. Gathering her composure somewhat, she lifted her head, her shoulders rising and falling in exhaustion.

Cinder: "I no longer...have the choice."

Stepping forward, the useless one began to speak up as well.

Jaune: "Of course you do! Think of everything...no, everyone else you could help right now! Sure...you've made mistakes, huge ones at that...but you know what? I'm not mad at you for it. I'm mad that you still went on with it."

The spartan, moved by her crushes words, braved herself to add to his statement. She too considered Cinder a friend, even if that friend seemingly betrayed her trust.

Pyrrha: "I don't know what you're thinking, but obviously you can never be forgiven for what happened today. At least, not with continuing with it. Cinder, we're all here for you. We know what you're doing is evil, but we also know that you are not."

Cinder Fall. Salem's loyal lapdog, glared at the ground in shame. When she began this assignment, she had thought it would be easy. And in fact, it was...for a little while that is. After carrying on with it over the course of a few months howevee, it had changed.

She formed friendships as a disguise, to watch and analyze her opponents. And yet, she somehow managed to genuinely bond with the brats of Beacon. From the "girls nights out" to the "squad get togethers", she stopped faking her care for the students long ago. Admittedly...this would have been seen as a failure by her mistress. To Cinder, it was a success in the strangest way possible.