21: Knucklepuck

Russ had been added to our roster since Adam couldn't play. Him and Jesse didn't get along at all like barely even talked to each other and when they did they just argued. And the past 3 days we practiced daily and they were not the usual practices they were tougher. But coach still managed to make it more fun. Adam was still on the ice but he just had his skates on since he couldn't do anything else really. But todays game was against Russia and we were winning.

Team USA leading Russia two to one in the second period.

Was heard through the speakers. I sit on the bench watching Russ at centre ice.

Russ: it's Knuckle-puck time

He flicks the puck on its side and winds up hitting the puck. It zigzags and goes right past the goalie hitting the netting. The crowd erupts in cheers and I look through the stands smiling at all the support USA has when I see Stannson and the trainer watching the game.

You: Coach. Stannsons here.

He looks up and pats my shoulder reassuringly.

Coach: don't worry about it Sinclair.
You: now they know about the Knuckle puck. Their gonna be gunning for Russ.
Coach: he'll be alright.

I just nod and look back onto the ice. Nobody on either team scored after that but it still meant we won. Which mean either way we make it into the championship.

~🏒🥅~

We were all around half undressed just talking when coach comes in.

Coach: I told him no visitors but he wanted to congratulate you anyway.

We look at the door to see Wayne Gretzky walking in. The expression on everyone's faces were priceless but who was I to talk I probably looked the exact same. After we had snapped out of our gaze everyone stared bombarding him with questions or compliments.

Charlie: guys this is the great one.
Wayne: Wayne's fine.

That causes everyone to burst into a laugh but if I'm being honest I don't think it was really funny. I just think everyone only laughed because every single person in the room idolized him. We all took a spot around him for a picture.

Man: say hockey.
All: hockey!

The picture is taken and Wayne Gretzky says his goodbyes before leaving the room.

Charlie: can you believe it.
Goldberg: I guess being famous does come with a prize.
You: it's come with a price not a prize Goldie
Dwayne: but we didn't pay nothin.
You: Dwayne sometimes you make me question my IQ.
Dwayne: thanks?

The whole team just starts laughing including me. We all continue to talk while taking the remainder of our stuff off. I look over to my side to see Adam struggling to put his sling on.

Connie: come on Binclair
You: who's Binclair
Connie: Averman made it up. It's Banks and Sinclair combined.
Adam: that's stupid. Banclair is better.
You: you've thought about this haven't you.
Adam: what no.
You: sure.
Connie: well hurry up.

I nod and she walks out I see Adam still struggling until he finally snaps and just throws it in his bag.

You: calm down Banksy.

I grab the sling and hold out my hand. Adam sighs and puts his wrist in my hand. I put his sling on and give him a smile. He smiles back at me and gives me a kiss. He pulls away and wraps his arm around my shoulder leading me out of the dressing room. Once we get to the rooms he picks me up over his shoulder and grabs the hotel key out of my back pocket. He unlocks the door and throws me on my bed making me squeal. He jumps on top of me and cuddles his face into my neck.