The Goblet of Fire

You spent most of the day relaxing in Fred, George, and Lee's dormitory. Fred and George were now clean shaven. The boys were rather disappointed about their failure in entering the tournament, but they took it quite well.

Now the four of you were sitting in your usual spots at Gryffindor table.

"I hope it's Angelina," said George, "She'd do good," You nodded. Even though she had told you to back off your best friends, you wanted a Gryffindor to be Hogwarts champion.

"Who has entered again?" asked Lee.

"Angelina, Pucey, Davies," Fred said, ticking off his fingers, "Haywood, Bole, Dunn... a few others I'm sure,"

"I'm so excited!" you said. Fred grinned at you. Harry, Ron, and Hermione then joined you at the table. Harry sat directly next to you.

"Hagrid just ditched us for the bloody Beauxbatons headmistress!" said Ron.

"No way," Lee laughed. Harry and Hermione nodded. You glanced up at the staff table. Sure enough, Hagrid was looking dreamily over at Madame Maxime.

The Halloween feast seemed to take a lot longer than usual. No one paid attention to what they ate. Every student had impatient expressions on their faces. You simply wanted to plates to clear and the champions to be announced.

Finally the golden plates returned to their spotless state. Dumbledore got to his feet and the noise in the Great Hall immediately faded to zero. Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime looked tense. Ludo Bagman beamed. You saw his eyes nervously dart away from the twins as he looked at the Gryffindor table. It made you blood boil. Bagman better pay the twins back. On the other side of Bagman was Mr. Crouch, who seemed quite uninterested.

"The goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore, "Now, if your name is called, I ask that you please come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through that door into the following chamber. There you will receive your first instructions," The headmaster took out his wand and waved it. All the candles in the hall went out. The only glow came from the carved pumpkins and the Goblet of Fire.

"Any second," whispered Lee. Fred grabbed your hand and squeezed it tightly before letting go. The gesture made you blush slightly.

The flames in the goblet suddenly turned a crimson red. Sparks flew from it. The next moment, a charred piece of parchment fluttered into the air. Everyone in the Great Hall gasped. Dumbledore caught it.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he said, "Will be Viktor Krum!" There was a storm of applause.

"I knew it!" yelled Ron. Krum rose from the Slytherin table and walked toward the chamber off of the Great Hall.

"Bravo, Viktor!" boomed Karkaroff, "Knew you had it in you!" The clapping and chatting died down as Krum exited the Hall. Suddenly the goblet's fire turned red again. A second piece of parchment shot out of it.

"The champion for Beauxbatons," announced Dumbledore, "Is Fleur Delacour!" You looked over at the Ravenclaw table. A beautiful girl with a sheet of silvery blonde hair stood up and began to walk towards the staff table.

"Oh look, they're all disappointed," Hermione said, nodding over to the rest of the Beauxbatons party. Two of the girls were sobbing. The others looked severely putout. When Fleur Delacour had vanished, the Great Hall fell silent again. Yet, this quiet was different. You could almost taste the stillness. The Hogwarts champion was next.

The Goblet of Fire turned red once more. A paper left it and soared high into the hair. It fluttered into Dumbledore's hand.

"The Hogwarts champion," he called, "Is Cedric Diggory!"