The Welcome Feast

"No way!" George said. Lee started jumping up and down, trying to get a better look at Viktor Krum.

"Is it really him?" you asked Fred, "I can't see!"

"Shortie," teased Fred. You rolled your eyes.

"You're a dork. Is it actually him though?" you asked. Fred looked and, because of how tall he was, easily saw over the crowd.

"That's definitely him!" Fred said. You and the rest of Hogwarts followed Durmstrang into the Great Hall. Everyone was going crazy about Krum. You, the twins, and Lee took your regular seats at Gryffindor table near Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The Durmstrang students sat with the Slytherins and the Beauxbatons with the Ravenclaws. Dumbledore then stood up.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and- most particularly- guests," said Dumbledore, "I have the great pleasure of welcoming you all to Hogwarts. The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast. But for now, I invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!" The plates in front of you filled with even more food than usual. You, the twins, and Lee all leaned your heads together.

"Okay, my bets on Krum being the Durmstrang champion," Lee said.

"Just because he's a good quidditch player doesn't mean he'll be picked," you pointed out.

"But it's Krum," said George. You laughed.

"Oh no," you teased, "Looks like Ronnikins has some competition for the Bulgarian seeker," The four of you glanced over at Ron. He was still staring, completely astonished by Krum's presence. Suddenly something caught your eye. "Fred, George!" you said, "It's Bagman and Crouch!" You pointed up to the staff table. Two empty chairs had been filled by the Ministry men.

"Excellent!" said Fred, "George, we can talk to Bagman during the tournament. He must be coming to watch it!" George nodded enthusiastically. You felt horrible that the boys had gotten leprechaun gold. They didn't deserve to be cheated. You just hoped Bagman would give them what they deserved.

Once the golden plates had been wiped clean, Dumbledore stood up again. A pleasant tension filled the Great Hall. Fred and George leaned forward, staring at Dumbledore with great anticipation.

"The moment has come!" said Dumbledore, smiling, "The Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! First, let me introduce Mr. Bartemius Crouch and Mr. Ludo Bagman. They have worked tirelessly to bring this competition to you and will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime on the panel that will judge the champions' efforts,"

At the word 'champions', the attentiveness of the students sharpened. You felt Fred grow tense next to you.

"As you know, the champions will be tested in many different ways," Dumbledore continued, "Their magic prowess... their daring... their powers of deduction... and of course, their ability to cope with danger. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire," At this, Filch carried a large casket to Professor Dumbledore. Dumbledore took out his wand and tapped three times upon the casket. The lid creaked slowly open. Dumbledore reached inside and pulled out a large, roughly wooden cup, full to the brim with dancing blue flames.

"Wicked," Lee breathed. Dumbledore held up the cup for everyone in the hall to see.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves must write their name and school clearly on a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet," said Dumbledore, "Aspiring champions will have twenty-fours hours to do so. Tomorrow night, the goblet will return the names of those judged most worthy to represent their schools. It will be placed in the entrance hall tonight. To ensure that no underage student yields to the temptation, I will be drawing an Age Line. No one under seventeen will be able to cross it. Finally, I want to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament should not be entered lightly. Once a champion has been selected, they must see the tournament to the end. There can be no change of heart. Please be very sure that you are ready before dropping your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Goodnight to you all,"