Chapter 24

Marcus opened the door to the Cafe and looked around for Nora and Severine. He saw Nora first, taking a milkshake to a couple in a corner booth. He looked around again but didn't see Severine, he had an uneasy feeling in his stomach but tried to push it down. He was probably just in the bathroom. Nora gave him a small wave and started walking towards him.

"Where is Severine?" he asked.

"He went on break," Nora said, glancing at the clock, "but he should have been back by now. Maybe he's in the bathroom."

The uneasy feeling was slowly creeping through his body, "I'll go check."

He went to the bathroom and knocked on the door. He didn't hear anyone answer, but he hadn't expected them to. He opened the door and saw it was empty. The uneasy feeling was like a full blown slap to the face this time. He walked back to the front of the Cafe and when Nora looked at him he shook his head. Her face went pale, he saw her go into the kitchen and pull the other waitress aside, she nodded then clocked out. He followed her out the door, as soon as they were in the alley he jumped her with questions.

"How long has he been gone?" he asked.

"I'm not sure. I didn't look at what time it was when he said he was going to break. At least a half hour I would guess," she responded.

"Did Issac come in today?"

"No, not that I remember," she said.

He growled and pulled at his hair in frustration, "Goddammit Nora! I specifically told you we needed to keep an eye on him! What were you doing!?"

"I was busy with tables. I didn't think he would leave work like that," Nora said quietly.

"Well he did!" he yelled, he was pacing up and down the alley now.

"I didn't mean for him to slip away. I'm sorry. And I know you're upset but stop yelling at me. I don't think we would have been able to stop him. One way or another, he would have gotten away from us," she said in a shaking voice.

He stopped pacing and looked up, she wiped her eyes furiously and wasn't looking at him. He sighed and stepped closer to her, "I'm sorry Nora. You're right. I shouldn't have yelled at you. Let's go back to the apartment and figure out our next move."

**********************************

They had sat in the living room thinking for hours on what they could do to get Severine back. Nora did her best to help but all her conclusions included the police even though Marcus had explained to her several times the police couldn't help with this since Issac was part of the agency. She had eventually fallen asleep on the couch from exhaustion and he covered her with a blanket. He went to his room and sat on the bed with his head in his hands. He felt so lost. He had to get Severine back. He stared at his phone, playing with an idea over and over again in his mind. It was a long shot and probably wouldn't work but he didn't have any other options. He sighed, picked up the phone, and selected the contact. He held his breath while it rang, after the fourth ring it was answered.

"What could you possibly be thinking calling me? And calling me in the middle of the night no less," said the icy voice.

"I...I need your help," he said. He was so frustrated and he hated that this was the only conclusion he could come to.

"Why would I help you?" asked his sister.

"It's Severine. He's in trouble," he responded. His voice cracked and he cringed. She would only see it as a weakness.

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Please. Please, I...I don't have anyone else," he pleaded. There was a pause and his heart skipped a beat, then started beating rapidly. She's really going to do it, she's going to help me, he thought.