Chapter 6

Marcus was sitting on the couch, Severine had his head in his lap and he was playing with his hair while watching Jurassic Park. Severine was supposedly reading but hadn't turned the page for a good forty-five minutes or so.

"What have you been contemplating all afternoon Sev?" he asked.

"Hm?" Severine responded.

He sighed, when Severine got lost in his thoughts it always took some time before he crawled back out. "What have you been contemplating?" he asked again.

"Oh," Severine said, "Not a lot really. I was thinking how fun it was last night with Nora here. I'm glad she's become such a good friend of ours."

He nodded his agreement, he could tell there was more but decided against pushing the issue. It had been a rough couple of days for both of them between the trip to Severine's home and Cas's grave. Whatever it was that Severine wasn't telling him now, he would tell him in his own time.

"I also was thinking again about telling her about our powers. I feel like we're keeping it from her and that's not fair," Severine said.

They had discussed telling her about their powers before but the decision always ended up being to wait a little longer. There wasn't really a reason she needed to know right now. The agency hadn't sent a new hero or villain to the town so she wasn't in immediate danger.

"I know you want to and I do too," he started, his hand stilling in Severine's hair before finishing, "but I think we can still hold off for now. I don't think she would be mad at us for not telling her sooner but it's going to be a pretty big shock for her."

Severine nodded, he looked up at him then away before he could get distracted by those chocolate brown eyes, "Yeah you're right, we still have time. What time do you work tonight?"

He looked at his phone. It was almost four thirty, "Five, I could probably go in now. They won't care if I clock in early and a little extra over time never hurts."

He leaned down and kissed Severine's forehead. He stood up stretching clear up on his tip toes, his arms above his head. He felt his t-shirt ride up slightly and winked when he caught Severine staring at the small amount of skin. Severine's face turned bright red, he quickly turned away then yelped in surprise.

"What's wrong?" he asked, immediately sitting back down.

Severine shook his head, "Nothing I just thought I saw someone on the balcony."

He stood up and walked to the balcony door, he opened it and looked out but didn't see anything or anyone. He walked out to the edge and looked towards the roof then the ground but didn't catch sight of anything there either.

"I don't see anything," he assured him.

"It was probably just a bird flying by really fast," Severine said, shaking his head again.

"Want me to wait a bit before I go to work?" he asked, concern lacing his voice.

"No! I'm a big boy and I can take care of myself against a bird."

He laughed, "I know you can babe. I'm gonna go then. I'll see you tonight."

He gave him another quick kiss then headed out the door. He paused at the landing of the stairs by the landlady's office and checked to see if she was in there. When he saw she wasn't he went outside, he heard the balcony door open and looked up to see Severine standing on it.

"Be careful," Severine called after him.

When he reached the Cafe doors he turned and waved at him, he watched as Severine went back inside. He turned back around to open the Cafe doors then turned back quickly. He thought he had seen something darting around the side of the apartment building out of the corner of his eye but now that he looked again he didn't see anything. He shook it off, boiling it down to him being tired from getting woken up so early and Severine's comment earlier.

"Hey girlfriend!" Evanora said as he opened the door.

"Hey Nora! How's business been today?"

"Good, same old same old," she responded.

"Good, I'm going to get clocked in and head to the kitchen. Let me know before you leave for the night I have a favor to ask," he told her.

The door opened and an older couple came in, she nodded towards him then grabbed two menus and was off. He headed back to the kitchen and grabbed an apron. His main job was to do the dishes but he also helped cook occasionally. Tonight the older cook Remi was there so he knew he'd be helping cook and doing dishes. A couple hours later Nora came back to let him know she was getting ready to leave. He told Remi he was going to take a quick break, he just nodded and waved him away.

"What's up Marcus? You never ask for favors," Nora said.

"You just haven't known me long enough yet," he smiled crookedly.

He waited for her to grab her purse then walked her out to her car, "Can you stop by the apartment before going home? You don't have to stay long just check in on Sev?"

She looked at him steadily for a minute, "Of course. I have a message for him anyway. Is everything okay? Did you two have a fight?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. Before I came to work he thought he saw someone on the balcony then decided it was a bird, and when I got here I thought I saw someone go around the side of the apart..." he trailed off when he noticed she was staring behind him.

"Is everything okay with you? Why are you staring behind me like that?" he asked on full alert.

He saw her shake slightly, "Nothing, I'm fine. It's just cute how you two worry about each other and your friends. I'll stop by and text you when I leave. Sound good?"

"Yeah I appreciate it."

He watched her drive the short distance to the apartment and waited until he saw her get in the building. Then he headed back inside lost in thought. Something was still bothering Severine he was sure of it and now it seemed like Nora had something bothering her too, but neither of them seemed willing to fill him in. He wasn't upset with either of them, there was stuff he kept to himself too but he hated worrying about both of them. It was an odd feeling. He had always thought if something happened to Cas he would be completely alone but now he had Severine and Nora and he would do anything for them. He was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard someone saying Sir over and over again. He looked up and saw a tall man standing at the register.

"Can I help you?" he asked.

"Yes," the gentleman started sounding slightly annoyed, "I was wanting to pick up my order that I called in."

"Oh, one sec. I'll go find the waitress, I'm just one of the cooks," he said.

The man nodded but he could feel him glaring at him coldly as he walked away. Weird he thought to himself. He found the waitress and asked her to help him then went back to the kitchen. His phone buzzed once then twice. He checked it.

Nora: Hey, I'm just leaving. Your boy is fine.

He smiled to himself and responded with a quick thanks and told her to text either Severine or him when she made it home.

Nora: Will do mom. *eye-roll* ;)

He laughed and checked his other message. This one was from Severine.

Severine: Thanks for having her come check up on me.

He sighed. I guess it was pretty obvious he thought to himself: Just doing the same things that you do for me Sev. I wanted to make sure you were really okay.

Severine: I know. I'll see you when you get home.

He sent a smiley face back then put his phone away. He could hear Remi in the kitchen yelling that the dishes were piling up.