Chapter 15

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Marcus asked, he was rubbing his hand up and down Severine's arm soothingly.

Severine only nodded so he assumed he was still trying not to cry.

"Everything turned out as well as could be expected for now. Once we know for sure that your father did send Issac and he has some kind of power, we can tell her about ours," he started, "we have a plan and that's good enough for now."

Severine nodded again and turned in his arms so that his head was resting on his chest. He pulled the blanket off the pillow where Nora had left it and covered them. They laid in silence for a few moments, he could see that Severine was almost asleep. His phone started buzzing and he grabbed it off the end table. There was a text from Nora stating she had made it home fine and would talk to them soon. There was also a text from the landlady asking if he could go check on an issue at one of her rented houses. The normal man who does it was out sick. He sighed, he didn't want to leave Severine after this morning but he couldn't tell her no either.

"What's wrong?" Severine asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Nothing, the landlady just texted me, she needs me to go check on something at one of the houses she is renting. Will you be okay if I leave for a while?" he asked.

"I'll be fine. You don't have to worry about me so much," he responded.

He ruffled his hair then hugged him, after a minute he reluctantly let go and got off the couch, "I'll be back as soon as I can."

He made the short drive to the address the landlady had sent him. It turned out the house was only two blocks behind the Cafe. He parked along the road and stared at the house for a moment. He hoped the fix was going to be simple and not be everything that looked wrong. The paint was peeling from the siding, one of the gutters was hanging loosely, and the screen door was practically off its hinges. Walking up to the door, he noticed all the curtains were closed. He hoped the tenant wasn't home so he could come back some other time, but after knocking on the door it opened immediately. He almost fell off the steps in surprise when he saw the renter was Issac.

"Why are you here?" he demanded.

"Is that anyway to speak to a tenant of your employer?" Issac countered with a sneer.

He decided against telling him off. "What needs to be fixed sir?"

"Something's wrong with the kitchen sink," he said, stepping back from the door and motioning him in.

Everything inside him was screaming this was most likely a trap but he couldn't not go in and take a look. Sighing, he stepped around Issac into the living room then motioned for him to lead him to the kitchen. He was smart enough to know he didn't want Issac to get behind him. As if noticing what he was thinking Issac gave him a wicked grin then started walking. The doors under the sink were open and he could see an ice cream bucket under one of the pipes. He knelt down to look at it, there was a hole but it wasn't that big so a Pow-r Patch would work.

"I'm going to go get a patch for this from my car. I'll be right back," he said standing up.

Issac let him go and was still standing in the same spot in the kitchen when he got back, "How is Severine?"

"I really don't think that is any of your business," he replied while kneeling down to put the patch on.

Issac chuckled, "You are a stubborn one, aren't you? But you're just as dull as your brother."

"You don't know anything about me or my brother," he responded through clenched teeth.

"Don't I?" Issac said.

Something in his voice made him turn around. When he looked at him he was smiling cruelly and looking at him like he was waiting for him to put some puzzle pieces together. He felt his brows furrow. Why would Issac know anything about his brother? Unless he truly is from the agency...but even if he is from the agency he wouldn't know about my brother, he thought. Unless they fought at one point. But if it was just a normal fight why would Issac be acting like this? Unless...the pieces finally clicked into place and he sunk to the floor shaking. He heard Issac start laughing.

"Maybe you aren't as dull as you seem. You figured that out rather quickly," Issac said.

"No," he heard himself whisper.

"Yes," Issac said, "and do you know what's even better than having taken your brother from you? I'm going to take Severine away too, then I'll let you suffer for awhile before I put you out of your misery."

"NO!" he shouted.

The lights in the kitchen started to flicker. He could barely hear Issac laughing over his heavy breathing. He tried to calm down but he couldn't get his emotions back under control. He had so much anger and fear coursing through him. He distantly heard someone saying no over and over again and realized it was himself. He screamed out of frustration, sadness, and anger, and the house went black.