Protective Mumma (February 2013)

Start from the beginning

"Baby? Cami?"Harry calls as he helps Darcy pull her arms out of the coat, "we're home!" He takes her pink beanie off of her head and laughs lightly at the way her curls are standing up crazily, "you look lovely, darling." Darcy giggles as he ruffles her curls with his fingers and kisses her cheek lightly.

"Mama?"Darcy asks looking around the empty house questioningly.

"Mumma?"Harry smirks watching Darcy survey the house, "where's Mumma? Should we go find her?" Darcy eagerly nods and takes Harry's hand that he's offering her as they walk up the stairs in search of Camryn.

"Cami? Bug? You in here?"Harry calls as he opens up their bedroom door. He walks in to see Camryn sitting on the bed in tears with earbuds in and her eyes closed.

"Buggy?"Harry questions softly, cautiously walking forward towards the bed with Darcy still clinging to his hand. Camryn finally notices that they've entered the room and snaps her eyes open which immediately fall on her baby girl. She quickly sniffles, takes out her earbuds, and wipes the tears off of her cheeks to prevent Darcy from getting scared.

"Hi babes,"Camryn puts on the fakest smile Harry has ever seen. "How was the park? Did you have fun?"

"Mumma swide,"Darcy lisps climbing onto the bed with the help of Harry cupping a hand under her bum.

Camryn reaches her arms out for the toddler and Darcy climbs onto Camryn's lap, "you went down the slide? That sounds like so much fun! What else did you and daddy do?"

Darcy looks up at Harry for help with her words. "I pushed you on the swings and you really liked it, huh? And we went on the teeter totters and..." He would continue but he catches the way Camryn's face scrunches up in pain and her hand immediately goes to her tiny baby bump, wincing slightly.

His heart drops. He knows this all too well. "Baby, what's wrong?" Camryn looks up at Harry, her eyes wet with tears that look like they're two seconds away from spilling over.

"Sweetheart, talk to me,"Harry whispers gently, sitting down on the side of the bed and putting a hand on her legs that are under the covers.

"I-I'm cramping,"Camryn whispers, barely audible. The words cause the tears to start flowing down her cheeks again.

His stomach churns as he fights with himself to stay calm for Camryn and Darcy's sake. He immediately gathers Camryn in his arms as Darcy watches them curiously. "Hey, hey, it's okay. It's okay." He wants to slap himself for saying it. Of course it's not okay. This is exactly what happened last time. It's all of the signs that she had before she miscarried the baby last time. "I'm gonna go call the hospital, alright? And my mum, she's probably only about a half hour out, so she can watch Darcy. We're gonna figure this out, okay? I gotcha." Camryn nods tearfully and closes her eyes as Harry presses a kiss to her forehead.

"Mumma sad?"Darcy questions looking up carefully at Camryn.

"No, baby, I'm okay,"Camryn assures Darcy, kissing her forehead gently and rubbing back her crazy curls.

"D, what about we go downstairs and have a snack,"Harry suggests trying to get Darcy distracted. He reaches down to pick up Darcy into his arms. "I'll be right back." Camryn silently nods and watches as Harry carries Darcy out of the room. He situates her downstairs on the couch with a pack of fruit snacks and the tv playing Mickey Mouse. "I'm gonna go help mumma, alright? You watch your show." Darcy nods, her eyes trained on the tv and mindlessly shoveling fruit snacks into her mouth.

Harry rushes up the stairs with his phone in his hand already searching for the hospital's number. He walks into the bedroom and sits down on the edge of the bed, his eyes on Camryn who's still silently crying and shaking a bit.