(STC) Chapter 31: [The Indomitable Wendigo]

Start from the beginning

"The Guerrillas said that we will ran out of food in a month, maybe a few weeks even, although we found a place to gather more resources."

Her answer just spelled another potential death sentence. I covered my mouth as another cough flared up, thankfully it only lasted a few seconds, but the sheer force of it was still painful.

"Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine." I respond in a raspy voice. "We have more important matters on our hands."

We started right after Yelena received a nod from Patriot to start. Our scouts interrupted our talk and informed us about quarrels between the Guerrillas and the ordinary Infected. The ordinary Infected wanted to open up the communication channels and start living normal lives, but the Guerrillas opposed it warning of a possible attack from the Ursus empire. I ordered them to maintain order and prevent any more such arguments from arising until me, Yelena and Patriot make our decisions.

Patriot adamantly opposed opening the communication channels, as it would attract the eyes and ears of the empire bringing our eventual demise. Yelena was ambivalent about opening them because she had little no experience in a city; she grew up in a mining town and she only knew how to run from the army. Just when it was time for my opinion, I decided that I should divulge some information regarding Kaiser Rye.

"I know someone outside of the tundra." I stated.

This shocked the two of them as Yelena's pupils dilated, and Patriot lifted his head up higher.

"I know that I might sound a bit foolish, but I do know someone outside of the tundra who can help us." I said. 

"You do?" Yelena asked.

"Yes I do. Before I fled here with the Infected, someone I knew was sent to gather food, resources and weapons from a faraway city so the Infected could defend themselves. But ever since we entered the tundra, I was unable to contact him."

"How are you so sure that this someone will arrive with supplies? You haven't been tricked have you?" 

"I have not Yelena. I've trusted him for over a decade, and I know that he'll arrive with the supplies we need. That's why I need to open the communication channels in the city."

"What do you plan to do with all of those supplies?"

"I plan to use it to get us back on our feet. Then we can move east, south, a place with a better climate than here. I am under no illusion that we will face the army, but we will succeed. If we move out of the tundra, this will give everyone a new future.'

"We can finally get out of Ursus."

Thirteen seconds of eerie silence invaded. Yelena didn't know how to respond, and I was sitting down hoping that they'll agree. My inspiring words did effect her to some degree weeks prior, but Patriot was still skeptical of me from the start. My Ursus clothes was a warning sign in his eyes, even though I had no ill intentions. But then, he spoke up.

"This plan of yours, is bound to fail."

His words were awfully disheartening.

"Mr. Patriot, I'm giving everyone a chance to-"

"I've heard enough." 

His red eyes emitted a hostile glow.

"You speak of freedom, peace, a future. But you do not, consider the consequences, of obtaining them." He stated.

"I'm trying give everyone something to fight for. Something to live for."

"You will be the cause, of their deaths."