(STC) Chapter 31: [The Indomitable Wendigo]

Start from the beginning

With the addition of the Guerrillas came another burden on our resources. Everyone was slowly running out of food, weapons and morale. When the Guerrillas first started working with us, we've accomplished all of our missions without breaking a sweat. But after the army launched a counterattack, forcing us to retreat, we had to be more cautious; and being cautious became a burden for everyone.

"The Infected are as crazy as ever."

I turn my head to see Haley return with a tired smile.

"Oh really?" I replied sarcastically.

"Ever since we acquired the city, the only thing that they've been yapping about are the communication channels."

"That's why I'm waiting for Patriot and Yelena to arrive, to discuss whether or not we should open them."

She plopped herself down beside me as she wiped off some sweat that accumulated on her face.

"And the only other thing they're talking about is... you." She added.

"I'm not all that surprised. After all, I should've had this a long time ago." I looked down at my womb and placed my hand on it.

"You're tired, and you're pregnant, and you have bags under your eyes."

"Tell me something I don't know."

Haley only gave a faint smile at my remark. Then she reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle of vodka. She took a giant swig from it and held it in her hand teasingly. 

"I guess you can't enjoy some of the vodka the Yetis shared with us."

"I'll be able to have some, once I'm done with my pregnancy."

An unsure expression crossed my face; she chewed her lips before uttering another word.

"Say... do you still want to open up the communication channels?" 

"Yes I do." I respond firmly.

Her eyes wandered around before lobbing another question.

"Do you still plan to reach Rye with them?"

"Of course." I sighed.

"I know that he was sent on a trip to gather supplies and stuff, but how will he reach you out here in this freezing tundra?"

"Haley. I've known Rye for over a decade. I know that he'll find a way."

My words sounded hopeful yet desperate, happy yet sad. 

"Are you going to tell Yelena and her dad about him?" 

"Most likely, Rye was sent to a faraway city; hopefully he'll bring supplies and weapons. Maybe that is what everyone needs to boost their chances of survival."

Whether or not I was keen on disclosing said information, I still needed to provide some form of hope for the Infected, even if it's only temporary. 

The two of us saw Patriot and Yelena in the distance both of them unarmed. Haley gave a casual remark before she left me to speak to them alone. When they arrived, they both took a seat on two logs by the campfire, Yelena gave a smile while Patriot had his usual, blank expression.

"I see that you're able to make it, welcome." I greeted.

"You called us here regarding the city correct?" Yelena asked.

"Correct."

"But I believe that we have more pressing issues regarding our supplies."

"That's true. I believe that Mr. Patriot did go and gather supplies last week, how much do we have to last through the rest of the winter?"