Black Lives Matter

Do you know why the black lives matter movement started?

Let's look at the history of this movement. Find out why some people support this act. And let's see how the world can support this movement. Some people don't believe in the Black Lives Matter movement because they don't truly know what it stands for and why it even started.

In 2013, three black women named Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi, created a movement called #BlackLivesMatter.

It was a response to the way Trayvon Martin, a white police officer, killed George Zimmerman, a black man. They were stating that the world is intentionally targeting Black Lives for demise.

As organizers who worked with everyday people, they understood the gaps in movement spaces and leadership. Black liberation movements in this country have created room, space, and leadership mostly for Black heterosexuals, and men- leaving women, queer and transgender people, and others either out of the movement or in the background. However, the community has recognized the need to pay attention to the women, trans, and queer people of the group, because the movement does not want to replicate harmful practices that exclude people from liberation.

The BLM members are committed to making the people who are different and in the background, closer to the center.

As this movement developed, the members used it as a platform and organizing tool to build awareness and protect lives. After Mike Brown was murdered by a Ferguson police officer, Darren Wilson in St.Louis, the movement developed a plan to head to the occupied territory to support this death. Over 600 people gathered and made two commitments: 1. to support the team on the ground in St. Louis, 2. to go back home and do the work there.

The community understood Ferguson was not the cause or the enemy but was clear evidence for what was happening to Black communities everywhere.

After the protestors left, to go back to their 18 cities, they developed Black Lives Matter chapters in communities and towns. It became clear that they needed to make this organization grow and to continue organizing Black power across the country. The members appreciate the first Black Lives Matter protest because it helped the movement become a recognized worldwide cause.

Why do some people support the Black Lives Matter movement?

Chris Armentano says, "I support #BLM because half the year I live in a part of Northern Florida where the N-word is still used with malice behavior." He states the wrong things that are happening to black lives and thinks they should stop. Chris states,"Committed people of all colors are demonstrating in large numbers despite fear-mongering that overstates violence in places like Portland, Org. A friend living there told me that even considering his city's turmoil, the core of the movement in Portland is resolute and peaceful."

He then adds "There are beautiful, determined protests and gatherings happening all over the U.S."

Research states that the recent decline in support for the Black Lives Matter movement is among White and Hispanic adults. In June, a majority of White adults(60%) said they support the movement in some way. Now, fewer than half (45%) express they support some of it. The Hispanic adults who support the movement has decreased 11 percentage. It was 77% in June, now it's 66% today. The support for the Black Lives Matter movement has remained unchanged among Black and Asian adults.

In spite of all the wrong things that are going on, this current movement seems more hopeful. Despite all the discrimination being used we still have hope because of the protests for human rights.

As the nation wrestles with racism, many Americans are left wondering what they can do to help. One way to support and help the #BlackLivesMatter movement is by donating to help end systemic racism to those who have lost loved ones due to violence of racism or to those who are taking a stand.

Whether you volunteer your time, give financial assistance, or both, there are countless communities around the country.

Another way to help is by having difficult conversations with your black peers and listen to them. A way to educate yourself on this subject is by reading books that deal with racism. You can also watch documentaries that talk about this issue. For people who cannot donate or protest, you can always volunteer. Use your strengths, passion, and profession to see if equipped to provide some kind of service to protestors and civil rights groups. There are many ways to help the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

In conclusion, the Black Lives Matter movement started by three young women who wanted true freedom and respect. The history of this movement shows how much time it takes to change patterns and beliefs in a society. Finding out why people support this act can bridge the gap of ignorance and change people's hearts and draw them to be part of this movement. The more people who support the community, the more chance that we can make a change for the better of all. Now you know why the movement started, and you can choose to be part of it.

Have a wonderful day! You deserve it!

We are all connected!

Citations(:

Websites I used for this info(:

😘

"About." Black Lives Matter, 16 Oct. 2020,.

Armentano, Chris. "Why I Support Black Lives Matter." Courant.com, Hartford Courant, 10 Sept. 2020,.

Gordon, Sherri. "5 Ways You Can Support the Black Lives Matter Movement." Verywell Mind, 1 Sept. 2020,.

"Herstory." Black Lives Matter, 7 Sept. 2019,.

Thomas, Deja, and Juliana Menasce Horowitz. "Support for Black Lives Matter Has Decreased since June but Remains Strong among Black Americans." Pew Research Center, Pew Research Center, 22 Oct. 2020,.