“They’ll be here soon, with Blu’s phone.” My father says with a heavy sigh, slumping into the chair next to me. I just nod, stroking Blu’s cheek lightly, whiling him to open his beautiful blue eyes. They don’t open, he just lays there, limp in my arms. My insides shatter all over again. I’ve never felt a pain like this before, the only thing that comes close is losing my mother, but even that doesn’t match the crippling agony I’m going through right now. It’s because he’s my mate of course, and because I couldn’t protect him well enough.

It seems like an eternity before the secretary from before to come over to my father and me. When she does though, I’m up and out of my seat, ready for someone to help my dearest Blu. She smiles slightly at me before turning to my father.

“Come with me please.” She says and my father fallows as she starts to retreat, with me close behind. The woman stops at a wide hallway next to her desk. There, waiting for us, is a male doctor next to a nurse manning a gurney. The doctor is surprisingly close to resembling the Carlisle guy from ‘Twilight’ minus the creepy paleness and gold eyes. Instead he’s tan with dull gray eyes and a wide, inviting smile.

If it was hard to hand Blu over to Jasper earlier today, it’s close to impossible to lay him down on the gurney of an unfamiliar man. But, because it’s best for him, I grit my teeth and place him stiffly onto the sterile bed on wheels. Dad rubs my back, trying to relive some of my tension. And then I watch as the most important thing in my life is wheeled away from me, down a bright white hallway, and it feels terribly like a goodbye.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~

I’m sitting slumped in an uncomfortable plastic chair outside of Blu’s hospital room. They won’t let me in there, not until I get permission from his parent, and so far we’ve had trouble trying to contact his flaky mother. My shoulders are ridged, and I’m emitting waves of thick tension, glaring holes into the pale blue carpet. My father is outside, because the hospital has crappy reception, trying to get a hold of Blu’s mother, so far no such luck. I’ve been here for a few hours, just waiting for the doctor to burst out of that closed off room and announce Blu has made a remarkable recovery. Again, no such luck.

Jasper, October, and Parker had arrived quite a long time ago, but I haven’t talked to them, I haven’t talked to anyone, not that they haven’t tried. October begged me to speak to her for about 45 minutes and finally gave up when Parker dragged her away to get some food from the café down stairs. So here I am, all alone, wallowing in my pain. Every few moments my troubled eyes flick up to the unmoving door.

How can they do this to me? How can they keep two mates apart like this when one of them is in trouble? Sure they don’t know that were mates, or even what a mate is, but it still pisses me off. I’m the only one here for him right now because his mother is AWOL so I should be in there, holding his hand through this, conscious or otherwise.

 I grit my teeth and hiss a breath through my closing throat. I try to tell myself it’s maybe for the best, that I’d probably be in the way, hovering too lose when the doctors try to work. It doesn’t help the burning need to jump up and barge into the room much, but enough that I can take a proper breath.   

Someone’s hand comes down to rest on my shoulder and I nearly jump out of my skin. My eyes cut to the side to see my twin standing over me with worry clear in her expression. My gaze flick back down to my knees where my fists sit, clenched so tight it seems like the bones could burst any moment. My teeth grind together violently. If I have to be in this much pain, then I want to go through it alone. Most people scramble for peoples help when they’re in a bind and are hurting, but not me. Instead I block out all human contact, folding into myself as a sort of defense mechanism.

“Drink,” She orders, pushing a clear cup of water in front of my face. I sigh and unclench my fists, wrapping my cramped fingers around the cool plastic. Her motherly gaze bores into me until I bring the cup to my lips and take a tentative sip. The cold liquid bathes my dry throat, and moistens my mouth.

She doesn’t sit. She just stands over me, looking at me with those worried eyes, twisting and untwisting her pink hair in a tight rope. It’s sort of starting to creep me out a little.

“How are you holding up, Kale?” October whispers and I grip the cup tighter.

“Fine,” I lie, my voice shaking slightly. My sister sighs, seeing right through the lie like I just came out and told her the truth in the first place. I’ve never been a good liar, good to know that hasn’t changer even though it feels like my whole world is hanging upside down. The sounds of nurse’s shoes and gurneys squeaking down the halls and of machines beeping periodically fill the short silence that falls over us. In that silence my fear for Blu laps at me harder, almost swallowing me whole. October seems to see this because she starts talking again.

“The council is coming down tomorrow,” She informs me, and this catches my attention quite fully. Now I only have a small part of my brain that can focus on having a mental break down.

“Why is the council coming?” I ask warily. The council is a group of very old, very powerful werewolf’s, who are direct descendants of the first shifters. These men and women used to fight and protect the packs all over the world. However, more recently, they just sit around in there castle (and I do mean castle, with a mote and everything). So why did the council want to come here? October shrugs.

“I’m guessing it’s because of Piper and her kidnapping Blu.” She says vaguely, and by the look on her face I’d say she’s pretty puzzled herself.

“But I thought that sort of thing happened all the time with rouges.” I say skeptically. Again my sister only shrugs.

“Maybe it’s because you’ll be taking the responsibility of Alpha soon. We are a pretty important pack because grandpa was close friends with members of the council.” October offers. I’m not buying it, but I nod anyway.

There’s a commotion down the hallway a ways. My head turns to the side, my sensitive ears picking up hysterical screaming and the sound of feet slapping the ground. October gives a =n amused look, hearing the racket as well.

Just then, a very pregnant woman come’s barreling down the hallway a doctor and my father hot on her trail. There’s something eerily familiar about the woman with tears streaking down her face. Her stark black hair, piercing blue eyes, and pale face tell me she can be only one person, Blu’s allusive mom.

“WHERE’S MY BABY BLU?!?” She screeches and my idea is confirmed.