48

Damien's POV

"What aren't you telling me?" I asked my mother as I exited my car to meet her.

She frowned, "What are you talking about?"

"I asked Uncle Rico about my father's death, and he said that when he and Carter found the hidden cameras in the house, the file from that not was gone," I answered. "I'm only gonna ask again, Mom, what haven't you told me?!"

Mother sighed, "I was the one who deleted it, Damien."

"Why? Why not hand the information over to the cops?" I asked.

"Because I was threatened not to. The night I found your father dead in the house and I told you to wait outside, I was too in shock to even think about the hidden cameras. I told the cops everything I knew, but I had truly forgotten about the cameras. It wasn't  until the next day that I remembered about it, and I wanted nothing more than to turn the information over."

I frowned, "Then why didn't you?"

"Because just as I was going to, I saw an envelope under the door. There was a letter threatening me to delete the information or we'd die next. I did what I thought was best, Son. I deleted the video, but not before watching the events of that night. I took a picture of the tattoo and turned it over to the cops. Remember that hotel we stayed in for a night?" she asked, and I nodded. "Witness protection for the night before they could find us a home for us to stay in. Unfortunately, the officers that were patrolling the area to keep us safe didn't make it to their next four hour check in that I had them promise to do. I knew something was wrong, and that's when the running began. I met up with the detective in silence a night before he too was killed. Luckily for us, he told me what that tattoo meant. He said that there was nothing he could do. That the owner of the group was too powerful. I begged for a name, and he told me. Your idol is responsible for your father's death, Damien. He's brainwashed you and my brother to think that he's the good guy!"

"Why take me in then have his guys follow me then offer bodyguards just to have some more of his guys run me off the road?" I frowned. "Don't get me wrong, Mother, I know just how dangerous Carter can be. What I also know is that he cares about his family- Rico included....me, included. He wouldn't-"

"Don't swear for people you don't know! Haven't I taught you better?!" Mother yelled at me.

I nodded, "Right. Guess I should've known better than to swear for you then!" She raised her hand to smack me, but I caught it in time. "Carter's never shied away from telling the truth and showing me who he is. Even his monstrous sides he told his children and me about. He's changed, Mom. He's not that guy anymore. He does things differently now."

Mother pulled her hand out my hold before shrugging, "Maybe he has changed. Too bad that was after he had your father murdered!"

"He wouldn't kill my dad and then invite me into his home. He wouldn't allow me to be with his daughter knowing that if I somehow learned the truth, I'd try to avenge my dad," I shook my head. "He'd do what must be done by killing Rico and me. Besides, it's a Mafia rule that members cannot go after another member or his family. Carter himself punished one of his most loyal men for violating that rule, even though that man thought he was helping to keep the Mafia together and strong. In fact, the entire Mafia participated in that guy's death, with each member putting a bullet in him. No one is above that rule."

"Which is why he'd keep his actions a secret,"  Mother argued.

I shook my head, "I don't believe it. He's still working the case. He and Rico have been working it nonstop. Maybe if you hadn't deleted the film, he'd know who's after us."

"If I hadn't deleted the film we'd already be dead! You know, maybe that should've been the case. Either way, I've lost you to the enemy," Mother said with disapproval. "You're no longer part of this mission. You've been compromised."

"I'll find out w-"

"You're done! I'll take matters into my own hands," she angrily replied before walking away and getting into her car, and I just knew all hell would break lose now.

I had to stop her from doing something stupid, but if I did, that could possibly mean everyone finding out the complete truth. Sagacity would never forgive me. My mother would have ruined everything for me, but she had to be stopped. Carter had to be warned...I just didn't know how I'd go about everything. I could possibly get my mother hurt or get myself hurt instead.