5 - Phone Call

Todoroki's POV:

I ended up getting more sleep than I had anticipated. I woke up just a few minutes before classes began, and I wasn't even close to ready yet. Not to mention, I was still exhausted. Sleeping just made me want to sleep even more.

So naturally, I decided to just skip school for the day and catch up on some sleep. I hadn't slept for like a whole week before last night, and sleeping a little made me want to sleep more. I slept for a solid six hours or so, occasionally waking up and falling back asleep immediately.

Around 2:00pm I decided to actually get up. I didn't want to, but I knew I probably needed to. I walked into the bathroom and stared in the mirror, disgusted by what I saw. I had lost weight from skipping meals more often, and I was extremely pale. Despite having just slept, I still had noticable dark circles under my eyes. Then there was the scar.

Unsightly...

I stared at my left eye, a piercing turquoise staring back at me coldly.

Just like his...

Unbearable...

Full of hate...

Cold...

Numb...

Tears began to well up in my eyes and I turned away from the mirror abruptly. Just then, as if it was planned by the devil himself, my phone began to buzz in my pocket. I pressed answer, not thinking to check and see who it was.

"SHOTOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My stomach dropped as I heard his voice ring in my ears, the volume making me tense up.

"H-Hello father..." I said shakily, wanting to break down and cry.

"You haven't shown up to training in two days. I wouldn't want to cause a scene at your school, but if need be I won't hesitate to march over there and pull you out of class!!!!"

"I'm not...." I stopped. He would kill me if he knew I was skipping. "Sorry, I just haven't had time to train. There's a big test coming up and I've been preparing for it. Training is important indeed, but I wouldn't want to fall behind on my studies."

"Hmm.... I suppose your grade could use a little work..."

A little work?

I have a 98

I think I'll pass, dickhead

"Even so, find a way to manage both!!!! I will not tolerate you getting any weaker!!!! You're weak enough as it is!!!! You need to be better. Right now you're not worthy of surpassing me, or anything for that matter, but I will ensure that you do someday!!!!! You WILL live up to the reason I created you!!!!!! No exceptions!!!!!! So stop being a weak little bitch and work on getting stronger you idiot!!!! Training tomorrow afterschool. We have a lot of work to do young man."

"Y-Yes sir..."

"And stop that fucking stuttering, it just makes you sound even weaker dumbass."

"S-Sorry."

"Whatever. I-...... Wait a minute. You're supposed to be in class right now. How did you answer this call? Are you skipping class?!?!!?!?! I will not tolerate this level of slacking off!!!!! You disappointment!!!!!! Where the fuck are you?!?!?!?! Are you even at school?!?!?!?! I cannot believe you would be so disobedient!!!!!!! You're a disgrace to the family!!!!!!!!!! To hero society!!!!!!!! You're a-"

"STOP IT DAMNIT STOP IT!!!!!!" I shouted to the top of my lungs into the phone, my voice desperate. Tears were streaming down my face and my hands were shaking so badly I could barely hold the phone. "I KNOW I'M A DISGRACE!!!!!! I KNOW IM NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!!! I KNOW I'M A FUCK UP, I KNOW I SHOULD'VE NEVER BEEN BORN, I KNOW I'M WEAK, I KNOW I CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT, JUST PLEASE STOP REMINDING ME!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!" A few seconds of silence passed, and I fell to a sitting position on the bathroom floor. "Please....." I pleaded, my voice breaking from trying to contain my sobs.