Chapter Three: How to prepare for the unknown

Justin’s P.O.V.

I arrived home later that night, my head filled with so many things I couldn’t focus on one particular thing.

I picked up my laptop from the floor where I had left it last night and ordered a pizza online.

Alone I sat at my tiny dinner table and wondered what it would be like to have the family of my dream there with me.

There would be no pizza but we would be cooking together, something simple, like pasta, a humble meal. And my tiny daughter would sit at the table with her stuffed animal playing house, or making up a fun story.

My mate would slap me on the back of my head because I wasn’t paying attention and I’d grin and kiss her jaw, making her smile.

Such a simple thing… yet it was all I wanted. I wanted someone to come home to, to quarrel to love and share secret kisses with and someone to read bedtime stories too as long as she could appreciate her father doing so, until I started annoying her and I had to protect her from guys in general, besides her old dad of course. And my Mate would tell me to cut it out and that she was a normal young woman.

The doorbell rang, interrupting my fantasy. Living like that would be perfect for me.

I opened the door and a girl handed me my pizza and held out her hand for the money plus tip. Her hair had the sandy color from my dream but she was far to young and her hair straight.

I gave her a 30 and told her to keep the change.

I sank on the couch and turned on the tv to get rid of the silence that filled my living room. I pulled out my phone as I stuffed a piece of pizza in my mouth. I looked through the pictures, no surprise nearly all of them were of Jenn, Kyle and me. I smiled, we were like a strange family and I was the adopted son, very much loved and wanted, but not really theirs. And they were not really mine. I wanted someone to complete my family.

I wanted my mate like a kid wants his mother on the first day of school.

Really badly… and suddenly I realized, I was doing exactly what I shouldn’t. I was losing myself in the dream, I had to focus on the things that were in front of me and not the things that might once be. I would know it if she was near.

I really needed a hobby to distract myself from the things going on in my head.

I got up, leaving half of the pizza in the box, it would make a fine breakfast, and walked towards the garage.

The tiny space was not really a garage for a car would not fit in it but it had a garage feeling, meaning there was a ton of crap stacked in it. I rummaged through it, trying to find something to keep me busy for a long time.

And when I found an enormous pile of lumber I knew what I wanted to make.

A tree house, for Jenn and Kyle’s but also my future children to play in.

I went back into the house and started looking for information on the internet. I wanted the tree house to be safe above all.

And thus, the first thing to do was to find the perfect tree.

I ran out of the house and stripped of my clothes and changed while running towards the woods.

I ran for miles, pacing the area between mine and the Nickelson house so that it wouldn’t be too far away.

After a while, a strange feeling in my gut made me step a bit out of my route, a feeling I enjoyed and wanted to cherish. Shortly after, I found myself in the meadow of my dream, and I knew then that the perfect tree was nearby. I looked around and saw it, a huge oak tree with wide set sturdy branches.