Preface

It was a bright sunny day.  You'd been looking forward to this day for a week, it was the day Jack had promised to take you swimming. You loved doing things with Jack, your favorite was when he took you to a secluded stretch of beach and you would walk out to a long abandoned dock and dangle your feet in the water.  Jack loved telling you stories of the seas and old legends of ships and their crews.  

You were only four and Jack had just turned sixteen.  He spoiled you and spent most of his spare time hanging out with you.  Father did not like your relationship, you could hear him argue with mother at night about how it was unhealthy the way you clung to him.  Father had told Jack many times to stop spending so much time with you and not wanting you to be attached, but he never listened and you never asked why. 

But this day was special, mother had packed you both a picnic basket and father even dug out his old blanket for you to sit on.  Jack had gathered all your things and you both walked out to your spot on the beach.  You began the day fishing early in the morning so you might catch something to take back for mother and father.  

After fishing for a while, Jack laid out the blanket for you to sit on.  It was a beautiful shade of blue that resembled the ocean with an elaborate ship stitched into it.  You lounged together on the beach eating all your favorite foods mother packed in the picnic basket and soaking up the sunshine.  

You spent the rest of the afternoon by the water and Jack would tell you your favorite pirate tale, The Curse of the Black Peral. As the sun began to set he picked you up and placed your small figure in his lap while you both looked out at the sunset over the ocean.  "(Y/N), I've got to tell you something love." he said with a carefully disguised sadness.  

"Ok Jacky," you said with enthusiasm thinking he was going to tell you another tale.  You squirmed in his arms to look up at his face.  

He smiled a sad smile down at you, but you were too young to pick up on it.  "Dad thinks that it is time I sail away," he began. "I've got my own ship and a crew waiting for me, it will be my first voyage. I will be leaving early tomorrow morning." he finished with a defeated tone, he knew you would not take it well.  

Tears started streaming down your face as he finished telling you his news.  "Oh Jacky, I don't want you to go, please stay with me."  You sobbed into his chest knowing that he had to go but not wanting to let go.  You buried your head in his chest and no more words were able to come out.  

He stroked your hair as his own tears slowly wet his cheeks.  "Oh love, don't be like that.  I promise that after this I will come back for you." he said placing a gentle kiss on the top of your head. "And we can sail the seven seas together and have all kinds of adventures of our own." 

You lifted your head from his chest wiping the tears from your eyes.  "Really, you'll come back for me?" 

"Of course I will return for my little girl." Jack responded pulling you in for another embrace.  

Jack slept in your room on the floor with you that night, not wanting to let him out of your sight just yet.  You woke up early with him the next day and helped him carry cargo to his new ship, although you were much to young to actually be of much help, Jack always encouraged you.  He let you name his ship, you chose to name it the Black Peral after your favorite tale.  

The ship was ready much to quickly and the sun had barely begun to rise over the horizon.  Jack kissed you goodbye and promised that he would be back for you very soon.  

You watched the ship sail away until it was only a speck in the distance, then it disappeared completely.  You let the tears stream freely down your face and you realized how alone you felt without your big brother, but the scarier thing was that you were utterly alone.