Part 1: Chapter 23

Start from the beginning

"Yes." He sounded indignant.

"I suppose feral humans have passed down stories of such things and of course, a few do still exist, but not many. Do you know that humans once stood on the moon?"

"I do."

"And you believe it?" I was curious. It had seemed so impossible when the idea had first been suggested.

"Yes."

I smiled a bit in spite of my down mood. "I do, too."

"Weren't you there to see it?"

"Well, I never went myself. I did watch it on television. It was amazing; I had never been more proud of the humans. It was an era when even I felt like everything was possible if only I dreamed it."

He was looking at me like he was trying to figure me out. It reminded me of the look Drak gave me and I definitely did not want this human to see me as clearly as my friend did.

"My bill was defeated."

He shrugged.

"It's my first defeat in the chamber on something I proposed."

"Too bad."

"It really is. I suppose it was just too extreme. Ahead of its time, perhaps. Are you at all curious what I proposed?"

"No."

He was lying, but I was better at it. "Well, I'll tell you anyway. It was a genius bit of legislature. I proposed that we extend the hunting season on feral humans by two months and decrease the nature reserves by half."

"Nature reserves?"

"Oh, yes. That little gem was thanks to the bleeding hearts on the council. Something about maintaining the human population, etcetera, etcetera, blah, blah, blah."

I smiled at him sweetly. I had actually voted in favour of the original bill in the name of blood security, but he would not know that. I doubted the humans in the wild kept close watch on the vampire council and then passed down the story for decades. "Of course, we don't tell the ferals where and when they're safe."

"Hunting season is from fall to early spring." His eyes looked far away.

"How did you know?"

"I never put it together before now, but from what I've seen it's obvious."

"Well, enjoy your knowledge now, because I shall compel it from your mind later," I said, just in case someone important overheard our conversation. I was not bothered in the slightest if the humans in the wild knew when they were supposedly safe or not and it was not like Jamie would have a chance to tell them if I had anything to say about it.

He frowned, his anger again focused on me.

"Still, while I am disappointed about the lack of an extended hunting season, you've reminded me of what's actually important. Arguing for my bill was quite fun, so it's really no loss."

"I'm very happy for you." His sarcasm barbed hatred was back and as gripping as ever.

I smiled as I stood up. "Thank you, but I have to return to the council now. Go back to your room, human slave."

With a wink meant only to discomfort him, I left him alone in the room. I nodded to Greg who was standing guard over my chambers for the night as I returned to the fray.

* * * * *

Magnus was a true talent. The man was boring me to tears and it had been centuries since I had last cried over anything.